Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Someone once said all good things must come to end. With that said I want to thank Stag Arms for their unwavering support over the past 3 years. The support Stag Arms has given me has made me a better shooter and has put me in a great place within the firearms industry today. I will always be thankful for the opportunity to represent such a well-respected company and great group of people. As we move into the new year I am extremely excited about what 2015 holds for me and the sport of 3-gun.

Are you dropping Stag? Are you getting out of 3 Gun?

Like many companies after a down year in 2014 Stag is tightening its purse strings to the point that I cannot maintain my level of participation in the sport without more support.

I'll be shooting a bunch in 2015!

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Sounds like 3 gun sponsors are going the way of the dinosaur? I'm guessing maybe the market is saturated with ARs now so there is no point in sponsoring shooters?

I'm not guessing. After one of the biggest years ever in 2013 lots of companies (especially ones that only manufacture AR15's) had a pretty crummy 2014. It has nothing to do with the fact that 3-gun is still growing like a weed.

Jesse, I am certain that a talented and driven guy like yourself will be able to find a way to continue to enjoy the sport of your choice. Normally I would now kick in with a sarcastic comment, but since it is close to the new year I refrain, Cheers!

Since this is in the rule section, can we make up rules for the new and improved JT in 2015? :)

Thanks to you and Stag for your support over the past three years. While I assume your support of Juniors will continue, you have done a great job there.

Best, Mark

Edited by MarkCO

Sounds like 3 gun sponsors are going the way of the dinosaur? I'm guessing maybe the market is saturated with ARs now so there is no point in sponsoring shooters?

I'm not guessing. After one of the biggest years ever in 2013 lots of companies (especially ones that only manufacture AR15's) had a pretty crummy 2014. It has nothing to do with the fact that 3-gun is still growing like a weed.
I guess I just assumed the politically charged gun buying spree still had some steam. Hopefully this has no effect on the sport.

I am pretty sure 2014 sales are going to have an effect on the prize tables.

Agree!

Sorry to derail your thread Jesse, but so it goes with most conversations in 3 gun.

I'm not of the opinion this is necessarily a bad thing. I saw more than one match that was advertised this past year by how BIG their prize table was, and how many guns they were giving away. No mention of shooting challenges that would be presented or the skill tests awaiting the competitors.

:) Everybody got a little something at our MEGAStage match, but it was most definitely the shooting that produced the smiles, and groans. :)

I agree with you Bryan, and derailing a JT thread seems like fair turnabout. :)

Big prize tables are better than small ones and I consider more matches / companies / sponsors / prizes to be a good thing

I hope the companies regularly offering guns & gear to competitors recover quickly, which is why I buy from the people who donate to our sport

Part of the problem Ken is that the ROI is not there. The companies that put a LOT of time money and support into 3Gun do not see sales figures that support the expense. Some of that is because a lot of the expensive prizes are going to competitors who are at the top who are sponsored and are prohibited (or scared) to thank and promote a company due to conflicts with the sponsors on their jersey. It is almost as if 3Gun in general was built upside down. There are other companies out there that sponsor a LOT more matches, but at minimum levels...just enough to get in the match book or listed on the webpage...they probably do get a larger ROI, but what they give is not worth a whole lot. We also have a lot of shooters coming newly into the sport getting all kinds of free stuff and they are gabbling it up and asking for more. There needs to be some balance and some "correction" related to prize tables and sponsors...it looks like some of that correction is in fact occurring. How it will all come out in the wash is a good question.

In my short time shooting 3 gun I've never even looked at a prize table. That's not what I'm here for, and I fully accept that this sport is a huge financial loss even if your at the top. I've been frustrated more than once when I try to get a buddy to go to a match and the first thing they ask is what they can win. Once I tell them shooting won't pay for itself and they're not going to be winning right out of the gate anyhow they immediately lose interest. Makes me so mad. Unfortunately I just admitted I've never grabbed anything off a prize table, damn...

Edited by TonytheTiger

I would not care a bit if prize tables went away, and trophies went to top 5 in each div.

Sponsors could support better stage props. Even some competition between sponsors to have the "best stage design" in a match. Maybe help cover RO set up expenses.

Lower match fees might also result if sponsorship covered more of match overhead and less product give aways.

I would not care a bit if prize tables went away, and trophies went to top 5 in each div.

Sponsors could support better stage props. Even some competition between sponsors to have the "best stage design" in a match. Maybe help cover RO set up expenses.

Lower match fees might also result if sponsorship covered more of match overhead and less product give aways.

~$250 match fees with ~165 shooters at Generation III Gun match overhead. Sponsors paid for dinner and t shirts. We put $15,000 in the bank to give back to junior shooters in 2015. Edited by Jesse Tischauser