Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ75 Shadow Custom vs CZ75 Shadow

doc88

Is the CZ75 SHADOW CUSTOM Item# 91715 ($1300) worth the extra $500 over the CZ75 Shadow Item# 91705 ($800) or can the the latter be made just as nice with springs and a short reset disconnector? Oak Hill Guns advertises them for $1299 and $794.43 respectively. Thanks in advance.

Edited by doc88

Here is my experience. I bought a 75 Shadow. Paid $800 at Oak Hill Guns. S/A trigger was 3 lb and D/A was 7.75. I ordered 13# and 11.5# hammer springs, matched firing pin spring, reduced power trigger return spring and a Type 1 disco from CGW. By the way, Dave is great to work with. Tried the 13# hammer spring and it reduced the D/A pull to around 7 lb. I then tried the 11.5# spring and I'm down to 6.25 lb D/A and 2.75 lb S/A. No ftfs. I have not installed the trigger return spring or the disco, yet. I have done no polishing. My trigger has a lot of pre-travel which I'm hoping the disco will correct. I do have a little creep with the stock shadow hammer. It does not bother me but it may bother a purist (trigger snob). I imagine the custom hammer cleans that creep up. I will be getting the thin aluminum grips. My spring and disco order ran $90 shipped. Grips will run about $91 shipped. I probably will make a recoil spring order, to try some different weights which will run around $23-$24 shipped. That totals out to $1005.

For me, I think I'm good. I may eventually do some polishing and I can always change the hammer if I feel the need for another $125, or so. I think the primary differences after the changes that I will make, are the CZ Custom hammer, different sights and polishing of the internals. I like my sights. However, I have not tried the CZ Custom sights.

If I have missed anything, I'm sure someone else will chime in.

You can mke the stock shadow just as nice with a little TLC and a few new parts like sr disconnector, extended firing pin and reduced fp spring, sights, grips, and ensure you have the mainspring and recoil spring you like. My stock 75 shadow with the above has just as nice a trigger as my sp 01 custom shadow.

Is the Short Reset Trigger System that much of an improvement? Also from the pictures it looks like the rear sights on the Custom Shadow and the stock Shadow are the same. No? Also, what is the difference in the hammers?

If you are handy, you can buy the parts and do the work yourself.

- the competition hammer makes for a nicer SA

- extended firing pin helps ignite primers with lighter springs

- short reset disconnector makes the SA pull a true joy in conjunction with everything else, almost 1911 like

- the rear sight is different, a little bit bigger blade area than the stock one

- some polishing and refinements detailed elsewhere hear that help on performance and reliability

For myself, the price difference is definitely worth it having someone else do the work by getting the custom, instead of me guessing/researching, for the first one.

BTW, if you are doing any of the action pistol games (USPSA), it's worth it also to consider the SP01 Shadow / SP01 Shadow Custom instead for the heavier front end. But the shadow is a very nice gun.

You might get an extended firing pin with your 75 Shadow. When I ordered my parts, I tried to order an extended firing pin from David at CGW (Schmeky on this board) and he told me I might have one. He said some Shadows do and some don't. Mine did. It is 2.5 inches long and lights up Winchester primers with an 11.5 # spring.

if you think about it there's probably close to $300 in parts between the two guns, so $200 for the trigger job and parts fitting. that's not too bad.

so you can do it yourself and save maybe $200-$250 depending on which exact options you chose to do, or just get it all done. depends how comfortable you are setting it up I guess.

grips are about $80

hammer about $80

disco about $40

recoil spring $10

stainless guide rod $30

hammer spring $8

TRS $6

ext firing pin $25

That comes to $280 in bits on the custom. those are rough prices off the top of my head and don't take into account any freight if you buy that stuff separately.

Then there's little stuff like tuning the ejector and mag release for you plus the bigger stuff of fitting all those parts, tuning it up and making it all work. I could easily see $200-$250 labour in that work. so value is not too bad. it seems like hard to spend $500 on a $800 gun but we do silly things to make comp guns. my tanfoglio open gun was around $2500 brand new and I recently spent probably close to $1000 on bits for it (mag extensions, magwell, hammer, trigger, pins, etc etc etc). if you want it, do it. :)

- short reset disconnector makes the SA pull a true joy in conjunction with everything else, almost 1911 like

- the rear sight is different, a little bit bigger blade area than the stock one

- some polishing and refinements detailed elsewhere hear that help on performance and reliability

For myself, the price difference is definitely worth it having someone else do the work by getting the custom, instead of me guessing/researching, for the first one.

BTW, if you are doing any of the action pistol games (USPSA), it's worth it also to consider the SP01 Shadow / SP01 Shadow Custom instead for the heavier front end. But the shadow is a very nice gun.

This is going to be an IDPA SSP gun. I already shoot a Stock 2 in Production and an Tangfo Elite Limited in Limited. This is the best similar gun I could find to use in IDPA. No Tangfos meet the reqirement except the Limited Pro but I see questions all the time about the size of it and it not fitting or maybe fitting or having to "sqeeze" it into the box.

This is going to be an IDPA SSP gun. I already shoot a Stock 2 in Production and an Tangfo Elite Limited in Limited. This is the best similar gun I could find to use in IDPA. No Tangfos meet the reqirement except the Limited Pro but I see questions all the time about the size of it and it not fitting or maybe fitting or having to "sqeeze" it into the box.

The CZ Custom 75 Shadow Custom has had slide machining to make the sights fit: that means that it is not allowed in IDPA SSP.

Buy the stock 75 Shadow and do the internal mods yourself, or buy it from CZ Custom and tell them to do all the internal mods and leave the exterior of the pistol alone. Either way, you will be IDPA SSP compliant.

The CZ Custom 75 Shadow Custom has had slide machining to make the sights fit: that means that it is not allowed in IDPA SSP.

Buy the stock 75 Shadow and do the internal mods yourself, or buy it from CZ Custom and tell them to do all the internal mods and leave the exterior of the pistol alone. Either way, you will be IDPA SSP compliant.

From what I understand it's just a competition fixed rear sight that is specific for the Shadow slide cut. I don't believe the slide has been machined on the Shadow Custom. Also I'm going on this thread as well.http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=202969

From what I understand it's just a competition fixed rear sight that is specific for the Shadow slide cut. I don't believe the slide has been machined on the Shadow Custom. Also I'm going on this thread as well.http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=202969

I would just make sure by asking CZ Custom. If they say they haven't machined the slide to fit those sights, you are good to go.

I would just make sure by asking CZ Custom. If they say they haven't machined the slide to fit those sights, you are good to go.
I just called CZ Custom. We're good to go. SSP LEGAL. No machining of the slide. Edited by doc88

I just called CZ Custom. We're good to go. SSP LEGAL. No machining of the slide.

Correct. The Shadow TARGET is the one with the milled slide to fit an LPA cut rear sight. It's illegal in SSP due to IDPA's ridiculous rule.

As a newbie this has really helped me. I'm planning to shoot Steel and IDPA and it certainly looks like the 75 Custom Shadow is the way to go since I'm not very handy around a pistol quite yet. I really appreciate all the insight!