Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light primer strikes on Zev Open Glock - Help!

Davidp1911

Hi Guys,

I hate to bring up this same topic again and I've read most of the posts regarding the same but wondering if anyone has any additional ideas or suggestions to correct the light primer strikes on my open Zev Glock. Here are a few details of the gun, load and what I've done to try to correct this issue.

I had Zev Tech transform my G35 into an 9 Major open gun to be shot in IPSC matches. It has a 5" KKM barrel, 3-port Game Changer comp, Dragonfly slide, Fulcrum trigger group, K.C. mount w/C-More, Brazos Zig Racker, Zev heavy brass magwell, extended mag release, textured grip, see photo

My load is AutoComp 7.2gr, Montana 115gr. JHP 1.130 OAL, Winchester small rifle primers. Also, tried Winchester white box 115gr. 9mm ammo. With both loads I'm experiencing about 80% light primer strikes.

I've tried 11, 13 and 17# recoil springs, tried 3 and 5# striker springs with Zev and Lightning Strike strikers and even tried the factory striker and spring, all combos were tested with the Zev Fulcrum trigger and had the same light strikes.

The light primer strikes ranged from centered to slightly off centered I estimate 50/50 breakdown with a faint dimple strike. The positive striker hits had the typical indentation with a slight rectangle impression from the firing pin hole.

I'm now going to re-install the complete factory trigger group and see what happens.

All said and done, is there anything else I should try and/or do?

post-3673-0-10675900-1418856524_thumb.jp

post-3673-0-58316700-1418856532_thumb.jp

Edited by Davidp1911

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy fix go to small pistol primers and seat them as deep as you can. I bet you get reliable ignition with your factory trigger parts and factory springs. Also check the Saftey plunger for wear.

Edited by dskinsler83

Easy fix go to small pistol primers and seat them as deep as you can. I bet you get reliable ignition with your factory trigger parts and factory springs. Also check the Saftey plunger for wear.

I have WSP primers on order. Ideally, I would like to use the Zev trigger group as it's set for competition use but understand it needs to go bang first. I checked the safety plunger and I didn't see any excessive wear. Thanks for the reply

I have seen the Glock armorers at a GSSF match clean the striker channel for carbon build up.

The gun is new and after the first test of 200 rounds, I cleaned and expected the channel and saw no unusual carbon build up then went back to the range the next day and had the same issues. I then expected the channel again and cleaned it again and had the same issues during my third test.

I had problems with my 34, which had all Zev parts, until I took the upper apart and cleaned it, and made sure to always seat the primer deep.

As I mention in my replies, I did clean the gun after the first, second and third tests and made sure the primers are well seated but alas the same issues. Are you having to clean the Zev parts more often to keep it running?

Have you contacted ZEV? If you have tried WWB and its still giving light strikes then something else is wrong. Also be sure the spring cups are splitting by the spring end. When you dry fire the pistol do you see the striker tip consistently through the breach face?

One more thing to try before you take out to trigger kit is this. Take the safety plunger out and re install the extractor normally and try it. If it goes off then the plunger is not getting depressed enough and the striker is making some contact with it ie the edges will look chewed up. If still no go the replace the kit with all factory parts. If that fixes it then it's the trigger system..you can replace ea part with factory to deduce further and see if you can pin point it.

One more thing to try before you take out to trigger kit is this. Take the safety plunger out and re install the extractor normally and try it. If it goes off then the plunger is not getting depressed enough and the striker is making some contact with it ie the edges will look chewed up. If still no go the replace the kit with all factory parts. If that fixes it then it's the trigger system..you can replace ea part with factory to deduce further and see if you can pin point it.

Yes, I've contacted the Zev rep who handled my build - no reply yet. I will check the spring cups and I do see the striker tip constantly through the breach face. I visually inspected the safety plunger in place but haven't removed it to check for damage, will definitely do so. Actually, I was thinking along those same lines that something is dragging on the striker preventing it from making good contact with the primers and only part it could be in the safety plunger - thanks for confirming that possible issue.

Where are the photos of this beast at

Thanks again for all your suggestions, Daniel, and will keep reaching out to you for help. I'm all too familiar with breaking in a new open gun but I usually shoot Limcat's and still learning what it takes to get a Glock open running.

one quick check for striker drag is to dry fire the gun and hold the trigger back then shake the gun front to back and listen for the striker to clink back and forth, if it doesn't you have some drag on it somewhere.

I had a gen 3 open gun (in my avatar) and I needed to replace the trigger bar to get it to quit light striking just from wear on the safety bump. (stock bar not aftermarket)

one quick check for striker drag is to dry fire the gun and hold the trigger back then shake the gun front to back and listen for the striker to clink back and forth, if it doesn't you have some drag on it somewhere.

I had a gen 3 open gun (in my avatar) and I needed to replace the trigger bar to get it to quit light striking just from wear on the safety bump. (stock bar not aftermarket)

I will try the shake test, thanks. I did notice Zev's trigger bar has been modified and lightened, seems like not enough meat to engage the plunger. I will try the trigger bar swap too.

Are you using any lube in the area of the striker? I don't have a high-zoot blaster like that but I know that oil/lube in the striker channel can slow the striker and cause light strikes. With lighter springs it might be even more prevalent.

And yes, try a factory trigger bar with an unmodified safety lift.

Are you using any lube in the area of the striker? I don't have a high-zoot blaster like that but I know that oil/lube in the striker channel can slow the striker and cause light strikes. With lighter springs it might be even more prevalent.

And yes, try a factory trigger bar with an unmodified safety lift.

I keep the striker channel clean and dry. I'll have to try the factory trigger bar in my next test.

I had light strikes until i switched to Winchester/Federal primers. I think rifle primers may be alittle to hard for a 2lb striker spring, which is what i assume you have installed?

I was using CCI then switched to Winchester primers but still having the same issues.