Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Magazine pouches (safariland vs. double alpha) to go for?

krazykj03

I was wondering if there are people around here that have used both the safariland 773/771 double stack and 771 single stack and also the double alpha racer pouches for double and single stack. I wanted to know what are your reviews on them and which worked better for you. i know they all do the same hold the magazines.

Magazines i have are STI, m&p double stack for production and 1911 for single stack.

Safariland you have to buy different pouches to fit certain magazines.

DAA 1 pouch for double stack and 1 pouch for single stack. Thats what i am looking at for the versatility. Just wanted some insight of what others thought about them, especially people that had both and picked 1 over the other.

I run 771 for sti 2011 mags. I like them and have no issues. The difference in the racer and rm pouches seems to be just the material and the ball pivot. Most of my friends run the RM and they love them. If I had to rebut pouches I might consider them but now my 250 buck is better spent elsewhere.

For production I run ghost pouches they work with my glock or mp and if I need to my sti mags

I have a SS rig made of blade tech revolution pouches. They work just fine and I got them for 10 each.

For the price of 1 rm pouches I can get 3 different pouches for each game, thus I now have 3 rigs

I run 771 for sti 2011 mags. I like them and have no issues. The difference in the racer and rm pouches seems to be just the material and the ball pivot. Most of my friends run the RM and they love them. If I had to rebut pouches I might consider them but now my 250 buck is better spent elsewhere.

For production I run ghost pouches they work with my glock or mp and if I need to my sti mags

I have a SS rig made of blade tech revolution pouches. They work just fine and I got them for 10 each.

For the price of 1 rm pouches I can get 3 different pouches for each game, thus I now have 3 rigs

thanks im looking for the 1 belt and pouches that do it all pretty much i know i want the safariland els because i want to change it out instead of having 3 different belts. to many options, very little money..hahahha

I would get the racer pouches. as sandbagger said the only difference between the R and the RM is alluminium vs plastic (no big deal to me) and ball joint vs plastic ratcheting type joint. I've got both and for the money the racer are better.

it's not hard to change out the inserts in them so it would be easy to leave them on the belt and use it for SS and for production. the only hassle would be if you want to move them around for limited.

I have had the safariland ones for limited and single stack and dumped the limited ones. For single stack they work fine as I rarely shoot it but I actually went with the ghost for limited and open. They are cheap, and have good retention and are smooth the remove the mag. they also have 2 screws that you adjust for the mag length front to back. I use my old glocks as a backup to my open and limited guns if need be so I can swap between the glock and STI mags with just moving the screws in for the glock mags. I have looked at and felt the racer pouches and just felt the ghost was just as smooth a release and they were cheaper

If you're going to keep your mag pouches behind the hip so you're SS compliant one belt is great! I know some Canadians' that do that.

If you want to move the pouches for Limited and SS etc its going to be a PITA

to answer your question

I've used the DAA for both with good success

To me it seems like mag pouches that use a leaf spring to create retention behind the mag are less prone to binding than the ones that use tension from the sides of the mag pouch to retain the mag. I first noticed this when I tried some Ghost 360 mag pouches for Production, which led me to upgrade from the Safariland 771's I used for my Limited rig for the DAA aluminums. Last spring I switched out the 1911 CompTacs for the DAA Single Stack Racers.

I like bullets out and the DAAs and Ghost allow you to do that. Plus 6 SS DAAs take up less room on my belt than the CompTacs.

I shoot Limited with a Glock. After trying a few things out I think I've setteled on this rig:

CR Speed pouches. They have a good retention for me, but still let me pull the mag very fast and smooth.

DAA belt.

DAA Racemaster holster.