Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will to light of a spring hurt a glock frame?

KustomHolsters

The frame can take it, BUT, depending on: 1. the trigger parts you have, 2. the sloppiness of your particular gun and 3. the load you are shooting, the brass may not handle the out of battery firing on a regular basis. The fact that force is applied from the frame to the slide in a rearward direction during the trigger take-up creates a potentially disruptive condition.

• 4 weeks later...

The problem is that as you pull the trigger, you are pulling against the striker spring. If the recoil spring is not strong enough, you may see the slide creep out of battery a little. I had that happen using a "recoil reducer" guide rod/spring which has progressive springs (weakest forward position). I was also using a 40-9 conversion barrel in a G35 and I could see the barrel start to drop down OB as I pulled the trigger. Not good. Be careful going too light on recoil springs in Glocks.

What about trying a springco recoil systems? They make them for glocks. I run them in my competition guns. It makes a lot of sense to me. The inner spring deaccelerates the rearward slide motion for less frame-slide impact (and hence less muzzle rise) and then the main spring can be tuned for reliable feeding. Without it, I would be concerned about increasing wear using lighter springs. Just a thought.

• 4 weeks later...

I use a captures SS guide rod with a 13lb ISMI spring in my g17 with light loads. 3.6 TG 124 xtreme round nose at 1.135. Still have muzzle flip but the front sight returns to the POI.

Edited by 1sickPuppy

responding to the original post.

This is one of those things, where the answer is a big depends. Recoil could affect you differently than another shooter. your height, weight, grip and stance all play a role on how the gun recoils and how effective you are. One recoil spring maybe too snappy for me and fine for some one else. Or a heavy spring cause too much muzzle flip but to someone else it doesn't. Some people say that the slide is moving too slow, others would not even notice the slide moving... At the end of the day, you have to find the spring that works for you. make sure your load makes power factor and then it is all trial and error. I saw a fellow shooter go through this exercise recently. He complained that his current recoil spring was just not working for him. He tried two lighter springs only to realize the original spring gave him the best results.

there

Edited by crotchThrower

The frame can take it, BUT, depending on: 1. the trigger parts you have, 2. the sloppiness of your particular gun and 3. the load you are shooting, the brass may not handle the out of battery firing on a regular basis. The fact that force is applied from the frame to the slide in a rearward direction during the trigger take-up creates a potentially disruptive condition.

Heed this warning. I saw exactly the same thing on my G35 when I switched to a "progressive" recoil spring system (dual rate) that is softer at initial compression. I would use the stock springs.

Edited by bountyhunter

The loads would be no greater than 127 pf. I may order a 13lb spring.

Thanks

I highly suggest a 14lb recoil spring. This is what most of the "pro" shooters use. A plus is that as it wears it may go down to 13lbs which will still work. Edited by Joseph796