Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag fails to drop

zhunter

Is that a polished 18 round SP01 mag? If so, you probably have +10% springs already.

Perhaps the top round is moving forward when the slide cycles. I had a pistol that would occasionally fail to drop mags and it appeared that the top round was causing it to hang up. I polished the underside of my shadow slide that contacts the top round in the mag after going into battery. That seemed to fix it.

Or, check the feed lips?

Edited by JayDee

Heavier spring, polishing the bottom of the slide and I reform the feed lips to hold the next round back. My mags measure about .360" across the feed lips so about an 1/8 inch from the back I put a waist in them and reduce it to .350"/.345" for about .100".

It's nothing to do with the mag brake. On the prior cycle as the slide stripped a round the next one was partially dragged forward. That's what caused it to hang up. Either a light bevel at the bottom of the breach or some mag tuning (cut 1 coil off the current spring).

Jay, that seems to be fairly common. I'll bet there are threads on that going back a decade or so. Enough so, that the first thing I'd do if I bought a similar pattern gun would be to polish that rail to a mirror shine, flat and true. Then, be sure to break the leading edge (at the breach face...which is what will drag that bullet).

I'd check all your similar guns (your carry P-09), and give them the same love.

Probably a good idea to pay attention to your mags and mag springs too. Have spares on hand. I know I watched one top CZ shooter crap out of an Area match for malfunctions. He noted he had old mag springs in his gun.

Thanks Flex

I'm off to Home Depot to get the polishing supplies.

It has never been a problem shooting, but only mags not dropping, and only then a few times. But once is too much

As for the P-09 and carry, if I'm in need of a mag change after 20 rounds im probably already dead :)

As for the P-09 and carry, if I'm in need of a mag change after 20 rounds im probably already dead :)

I don't think it's designed to run/feed that way (top bullet forward). Maybe it's fine. I really don't know. Do me a favor and shoot your carry gun in some matches. Match shooting will provide a bit more of a stress test than range shooting will.

Optimize.

I don't think it's designed to run/feed that way (top bullet forward). Maybe it's fine. I really don't know. Do me a favor and shoot your carry gun in some matches. Match shooting will provide a bit more of a stress test than range shooting will.

Optimize.

I agree, that bullet is not supposed to be forward. It is the front of the bullet that is causing the problem

Seems to be a consensus that the slide is the culprit

Just to keep all this kind of information together...I have a new Accu from CZC, and it looks like they're doing the recommended work (polish strip and round lower edge breechface) at CZC, because those things had already been done when I received the gun.

Edited by ummm