Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X-Treme Bullets Feedback?

Duane Thomas

Mark R, probably need to open the crimp up a bit. Your 10 yard groups look like my 40 yard groups with the same bullet.

If I open up the crimp any more, the bullets will fall out, or worse setback. Very little crimp on all those...maybe .001-.002 at most.

Wait, what? Crimp has an effect on that setback in auto rounds? Are you sure? I always thought it was the sizing that held the bullet in, which is why i only crimp enough to *just* remove the belling. As little as possible and still have them feed. Maybe that's why I get great accuracy in all my guns with extremes; I'm not overcrimping them and damaging the plating so they fly erratically.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are my first 5 shots ever out of a CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow, using Xtreme 147gr RN at 75 feet from a rest. (Note the group size, not location)

I was sighting the gun in and have since moved the rear sight to the right:

xTExDGwl.png

Edited by ES13Raven

Mark R, probably need to open the crimp up a bit. Your 10 yard groups look like my 40 yard groups with the same bullet.

If I open up the crimp any more, the bullets will fall out, or worse setback. Very little crimp on all those...maybe .001-.002 at most.

Wait, what? Crimp has an effect on that setback in auto rounds? Are you sure? I always thought it was the sizing that held the bullet in, which is why i only crimp enough to *just* remove the belling. As little as possible and still have them feed. Maybe that's why I get great accuracy in all my guns with extremes; I'm not overcrimping them and damaging the plating so they fly erratically.

I doubt setback will occur since the sizing should take care of that. I was trying to iterate that I have very little crimp. Like you said...just enough to remove the bell for seating.

I'm running N320 3.4 OL 1.3-1.4 and "crimp" .375 Honestly I'm confused with this crimp issue...I was taught it is a specific measurement not a subjective light/tight ?

We carefully measure everything else: OAL, powder grains, bullet diameter etc. Why wouldn't we measure crimp?

.375 sounds like too much crimp to me. I use Xtreme 147 RN as well, and try to set my crimp at .378 / .379

Easy way to measure:

measure case wall thickness, * 2.

Measure bullet diameter at approx. point of contact with case mouth.

Add the two together, and subtract 0 to ~.001 at most.

There's your finished round at case mouth target measurement, typically ~.377-.378 for most 9mm case/bullet combos.

I have been loading the 124 gr RN xtreme bullets and this is my results with 2 different guns and 2 different loads (a major PF load and a minor PF load):

at 125 powerfactor out of my M&P accuracy is 14" groups at 50 yards

at 125 powerfactor out of my M&P accuracy is 2" groups at 20 yards

at 173 powerfactor out of my open gun, I get 2" groups at 20 yards.

the same minor PF loads in my open gun accuracy at 50 yards is about the same as with the M&P

at 173 powerfactor out of my open gun, accuracy at 50 yards is terrible. I cant even hit the 12 inch circle. The shots miss by several feet sometimes left right up and down in a random pattern. My dot is in the same place every shot.

I think the speed of major power factor with these degrades accuracy severely. I have about 2500 of them left and will use them up. I bought a bunch because of the price point. I plan to try something else when my stock runs out. My crimp seems to be correct after a few adjustments and tests.

The current load I am using works for me at the moment as most of the targets I shoot at in matches are < 25 yards.

Thanks.

I have been loading the 124 gr RN xtreme bullets and this is my results with 2 different guns and 2 different loads (a major PF load and a minor PF load):

at 125 powerfactor out of my M&P accuracy is 14" groups at 50 yards

at 125 powerfactor out of my M&P accuracy is 2" groups at 20 yards

at 173 powerfactor out of my open gun, I get 2" groups at 20 yards.

the same minor PF loads in my open gun accuracy at 50 yards is about the same as with the M&P

at 173 powerfactor out of my open gun, accuracy at 50 yards is terrible. I cant even hit the 12 inch circle. The shots miss by several feet sometimes left right up and down in a random pattern. My dot is in the same place every shot.

I think the speed of major power factor with these degrades accuracy severely. I have about 2500 of them left and will use them up. I bought a bunch because of the price point. I plan to try something else when my stock runs out. My crimp seems to be correct after a few adjustments and tests.

The current load I am using works for me at the moment as most of the targets I shoot at in matches are < 25 yards.

Thanks.

Did you mean 4" groups at 50 yards? 14" groups seems like quite a spread.

I've reloaded about 2,500-3,000 rounds using Xtreme 115gr plated 9mm. Shoot them out of both a STI Trojan and a STI Steelmaster. I can regularly have 2-3" groups at 25 yards offhand. Easily 2" from a rest at the same distance. Farthest I've shot them from so far was 40 yards and they were 3-4" groups off hand.

Edited by lawmangr

Are you using these (124 RN) or these (124 RN HPCP)? Normal plated bullets often don't hold up past around the 1200 fps mark (depending on a bunch of stuff), but the heavy plate/concave base one is supposed to be better for high speeds. Xtreme recommends anything above 1200 fps you use the HPCB.