Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Everybody A Tinkerer

Bart Solo

A tinkerer? I suppose I could call it that. 1911 and 2011 I can't seem to leave them alone. Maybe this is why my last three have been built from a box of parts by a local gunsmith.

With CZ's it depends. On the CZ75 Shadow that I bought off a friend this fall I've replaced the front sight with a narrower one, experiemented with 3 different grips to figure out which one I like, and have a CGW Type 1 disco I am about to install to shorten up the SA pre-travel. While it's apart I'll probably go thru Prof Atlas' tutorial to see if anything needs polishing and replace the OEM trigger pin with the CGW floating pin. Seeing as the gun is used, replacing the TRS with a new one seems like a good idea since I'll have the trigger pin out. But all that could just come under the heading of maintenance.

The 2014 SP-01 that I just got from CZC I haven't felt the need to do anything to it other than shoot and dry fire. Though at some point I'll probably experiment with some different recoil/hammer springs to see if that changes anything for the better, not sure that is tinkering or not.

On my CZC TS which as it arrived 8 years ago at my LGS was fully capable of winning Limited Nationals in the right hands I have:

Changed grips twice.

Changed the FS twice

Changed the rear sight

Changed the recoil spring weight

Changed the hammer spring weight

Gone to an Xtra power extractor spring

Added a long firing pin

Changed the magwell

Changed FO color or blacked it out at least a dozen times

Cut down the grip checkering

Undercut the beavertail

Shortened the dustcover to CTS length

Refinished the frame in TiALN

Lightened the slide

Added an Accubushing

Changed the strong side safety

Modified said safety 3 months later

Added grip tape

Removed grip tape

Added putty to the grip

Removed the putty from the grip

Changed the trigger

Nah, I'm not a tinkerer. :roflol::roflol::roflol:

I have been tinkering with 1911's for over 20 years. I could say now that I'm able to service my own 1911's for my intended use. However, I just started shooting cz's. Got a couple of TS' last year and they only needed chamber reaming, so that was easy.

Just got an SP-01, and realized I'm quite tired of tinkering. Don't really have the energy now to even learn a new platform. Got my parts from CGW, and I'm in no hurry to do anything. Maybe in a few months. I plan on changing only the most necessary parts to get down to a sub-4# (single-action) trigger pull, then I'll consider this shootable for myself.

I'm an addict! :eatdrink:

IMG_20141118_213204867_zps64986426.jpg

How do you like your 2011 based guns compaired to your Cz?

The trouble when comparing guns is there's something to love about all of them :wacko:

A big part of my motivation to try some 2011s was the closing loophole in CA through which I could get them and I was also curious about 38 super Open guns, so when I had a chance to pick up a few 2011s in 38 I jumped on it. For my last gun of the year I grabbed a full sized 9mm 2011 with Jared's comp which I'm excited to try this Friday :D

A big plus for me is the weight of a 2011 Open gun: my CZ TS based Open gun weighs a portly 54oz whereas my Ti comped, aluminum guide rod Bedell super shorty 2011 only weighs 41oz. Although I do have a CZ 75 SA based Open gun I've been working on that currently weighs 42.1oz and that's before the Mike Rush supermodel diet starts!

The tough part about the CZ/Tanfo Open guns is that everything is custom, but that's also the nice thing once you figure out what you want (and get someone to do the work for you :huh: ).

• 2 weeks later...