Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver vs. auto "speed"

BillR1

This past Saturday was the first time in 2014 that I shot a semi-auto in an IDPA match. I decided to devote this year to revolver class for all sanctioned matches. I had a great time shooting revo and did fairly well including a DC, but I want to get back to shooting SSP/ESP classes.

In looking at the video of Saturday's match (and the results!) I saw that I'm noticeably slower/more deliberate in my shooting. I'm guessing this is due to still being in "revolver mode" where every shot has to count. Also, the splits are usually longer in revolver due to the DA trigger. Do I have that revolver split time in my head and think that's what splits need to sound like? :unsure:

I was pleased with the accuracy, but I sure need to pick up the pace again in practices and dry fire.

They are 2 different animals. Very few people can switch back and forth effectively. Most often there is a transition time to go from one platform to the other. Revolver splits can be very fast but it takes a lot of practice to go fast without jerking the trigger. There is a subtle but important distinction between rolling it through quickly and placing your shots or jerking it all over the place.

I took up IPSC Revolver this year, coming from Production. Yep, very different beast to shooting an auto in terms of cadence. The long reset of the trigger is one of the biggest differences. In the early days you're eyes want to transition off the target to the next one because they've been trained that the shot should have already broken. "Shooting blind" is the result.

I actually got into IPSC Revolver in the hope it would help my PPC shooting, but 10 months later the jury is still out. Trigger rhythm is very different between the matches.

• 2 weeks later...

Bill, I found that shooting the revo made me a much better semi-auto shooter. I still kept the revo mindset when it comes to stage planning and sight picture before breaking each shot. Im an EX SSR shooter hoping to get MA this year. It will take a little bit of time to make the transition back to SSP/ESP, but your splits and transitions will come once you get in to the grove of things and get a few practices and matches under your belt. The hardest part for me when i shoot a bottom feeder is remembering that i can shoot 10 rounds before i need to reload.

just remember a slower -0 beats a fast -3 more often than not

Edited by hkguy

You guys are better than me. I would think that the revolver pulls would totally screw with your rhythm for shooting a semi auto.

What helped me out is forgetting the idea of rhythm. Work the gun as best as you can, and it's not really all that different. You still need clean trigger presses, and you still need to track your sights.

Now, reloads... :D

You guys are better than me. I would think that the revolver pulls would totally screw with your rhythm for shooting a semi auto.

What helped me out is forgetting the idea of rhythm. Work the gun as best as you can, and it's not really all that different. You still need clean trigger presses, and you still need to track your sights.

How long does it take to get used to a single action trigger? I've never shot USPSA with anything but a revolver, but there's a 1911 on my bench right now. Next year is bottom feeder year.

How long does it take to get used to a single action trigger? I've never shot USPSA with anything but a revolver, but there's a 1911 on my bench right now. Next year is bottom feeder year.

There's a learning curve, yeah, but I think of it more in the sense of remembering how each gun should feel rather than X technique for X gun and Y technique for Y gun. I came from my production trigger, which is close to single action, and I was pretty well into it within a couple hundred rounds. For you, I'd venture a wild guess that if you practice it, you'll be a lot better at just powering through the trigger pull and letting off completely each time (slapping) rather than trying to ride the reset or prep the takeup (if there is any). Press the trigger back and the hammer falls.

Luckily, I hear there's a range near work.

Edited by thermobollocks

Well, yesterday was the second match using the CZ, and it went much better. I still feel like I can (should?) go faster, but I ended up top SSP shooter and "most accurate". I finished 2nd overall to an ESP MA. The previous revolver work has helped tremendously in shooting that first shot in DA.

Thanks for all of the tips...time for more dry-fire!

• 9 months later...

I've been focusing on revo this year and have only shot one event without one. My semi-auto skills have improved noticeably even without practicing with them.