Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115g bullets for 9 major

.40AET

Forum member Kingman developed such a load & posted data on the other 9major thread. Believe he swithced to 124s though. General trend has been to use 124s - likely due to excessive pressure issues with 115s.

Thanks Carlos. I have been following the 9major thread closely. I agree, the trend is towards the 124's. I shot a friends 9 shorty with 115's and HS-6. In a side by side with 124's, the 115's are a lot softer and flatter shooting. I am hoping to find some more data before my gun is finished.

Your reply got me wondering about the compiled data w/ 115s (very little). However, a couple of things about Major9 115 are apparent:

1) Its handload only. While there are major 124 loads, I have never heard of factory major 9 w/ 115.

2) It should only be attempted by the most experienced loaders & fired from the strongest guns. An STI Open 2011 would be appropriate. An antique blowback 9x19 would not.

Those warnings out of the way, I looked a the old data (has not been updated in years) listed for a different caliber on Jeff Maass site. He lists major 9x21 data. Many of the loads have an OAL too long for a 9x19 - particularly the CZ & Tanfoglio/"springfield" P9 built on the smaller frame & allowing a max OAL of about 1.161" or less. I own a custom barrel Glock designed for Open9 & 1.155" is about the longest I can load. Don't assume you can shorten any listed loads without sending pressures through the roof/ blowing up your gun. Don't say I did not warn you. However, most 2011s & other 1911s specifically designed for 9 major will allow a longer OAL in the mag & MIGHT have enough free-bore to take 9x19 loaded to the spec.s on Jeff's old site. The powders listed for 115 9Major were:

N340, N350, 3N37 (probably 3N38 too) N105, AA-7, HS-7 & SP-2.

Some of these loads meet old Major (175) so the might provide a comfortable cushion for meeting 165. Anyway, the site is: http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/documents/hl9x21.pdf

Thanks for bringing up the topic; maybe the general trend to avoid 115s can be reversed. I'm open to the idea. D.

Anyway the site lists several loads that just meet or slightly exceed

What I've tried was loaded to 1.165"oal. An experienced reloader and open shooter has been helping me journey to the darkside. I asked for the barrel to be freebored to 1.200". I looked at Jeff's site trying to determine what powders are dense enough and would make major in the 9x21. Back off the load 20% and chrono then work back up. I'm planning on starting with 124's to break in the gun (STI) with some tried and true loads. Then start experimenting with the 115's. After I work up the load next month in my gun, I will post all of the data.I'm just hoping someone has been down the road with some of the mainstream powders.

• 2 weeks later...

To answer the original question, I started developing loads trying to get my shorty major 9 to make major with 115 grain bullets. Its a little harder a proposition than I had thought at the outset.

Slide is 1/2" shorter than 5" with a little extended past for a cone comp installation.

115 grain - Zero - FMJ-RN (OAL of 1.175", Fed sm rifle primers)

8.7 grains HS-6 averaged 1394 fps for 160.3 PF

8.8 grains HS-6 averaged 1440 fps for 165.6 PF

7.8 grains 3n37 averaged 1377 fps for 158.4 PF

8.0 grains 3n37 averaged 1434 fps for 164.9 PF

Just got some true blue to try which is super dense and tight. More test data to follow with that. Also have 7625 but can't see how that will ever make it into a small 9mm case, so it will not be tried. It would seem very doable with a 115 grain bullet and 5-1/2" barrel.

For comparison sake, same everything with a 124 grain Zero bullet

7.9 grains HS-6 averaged 1286 fps for 159.5 PF

7.4 grains 3n37 averaged 1329 fps for 164.8 PF

No blowholes, intentional or otherwise :o;)

Normal barrel cut some for a 4-1/2" slide, and allowing enough extra to thread a cone comp onto it.

I figure I can get three loads making major with 115 grain bullets. Will study further and see if any are a viable long term solution, or if I will decide to move up to 121 grain bullets and make life easy.

Shooting put of a Stinger 9mm with 124 MG bullet and 8.4gr of HS-6 making major easily at 166PF, tried the HS-7 wasn't making it at 8.6gr (will try more later) and I also tried the 115gr with HS-6 8.4gr was making 155PF....

I also tried the HS-6 up to 8.7gr and was making 171PF with the 124gr, the load got flatout between 8.5 and 8.6 gr with a PF increase of 1PF only.

I wouldn’t go smaller than 124gr in the neener unless your OAL is over 1.120", in other words, don't use smaller that 124gr in Glocks shooting major 9.

What I am seeing in my 170PF 124gr 9x21 at 1.135" OAL tells me so.

--

Regards,

Edited by George

No blowholes, intentional or otherwise :o;)

Normal barrel cut some for a 4-1/2" slide, and allowing enough extra to thread a cone comp onto it.

I figure I can get three loads making major with 115 grain bullets. Will study further and see if any are a viable long term solution, or if I will decide to move up to 121 grain bullets and make life easy.

Bam, you are on the right track. I have a 9mm Major shorty with a 3 port comp and 2 blow holes in the barrel.

I use the 115 Zero JHP with Fed Small Rifle primers in FC brass with 8.4 grs of VV 3N37 and was it chrono'ed 1499 at the Area 8 Championship and I have not experienced any pressure problems. I am going to experiment with some other powders and the 115.

For a Steel load for the same gun I am using 4.7grs of VV N-330 with the same 115 and FSP primers and it shoots soft and flat. It's running 1100fps so I might do some experimenting with it and Federal Small Rifle primers and see what happens. :blink:

I use the 115 Zero JHP with Fed Small Rifle primers in FC brass with 8.4 grs of VV 3N37 and was it chrono'ed 1499 at the Area 8 Championship and I have not experienced any pressure problems. I am going to experiment with some other powders and the 115.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Robert/BamBam, thanks for posting some useful data. I am looking for success stories with the 115's. I'm not fond of paying throught the nose for the Vhit powders, but they are clean and consistant.

• 4 weeks later...

How do the 115's feel in comparison to the 124's? Is there appreciable differences and dot track etc with the 115? I am currently using 8.2 grs of Power Pistol and zero 125's. I will try Silhouette next.

Thanx, Craig

The first side by side comparision I did was with a different powder. There was a noticable difference. The 115's felt softer. I just worked up new loads with the Silhouette and have not had both bullet weights with the same PF next to each other. The 124's that I had were around 168pf and the 115's were all at 175pf. I need to make bigger batches for test purposes.

Please keep in mind that I am the ".40AET" not the 9mm. I'll try to think more in terms of dot track next time I'm out. I have a bunch of 3N37 coming and that will be the next side by side test.

• 4 weeks later...