Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

g19 for USPSA, time to buy a g34?

dcrosle1

I have just started shooting USPSA and will be shooting my 3rd match in a few weeks. I've been shooting my Glock 19 each time but have recently considered buying a g34. I know the most important thing above all is practice, and I already get plenty of that with my 19.

Should I just keep shooting the 19 for a while longer or should I just go ahead and get the 34 now since I will most likely end up with it anyway? I want to get better to reach the next level in skill and know that this is something that I will continue to do for a long time. I am also aware that a new pistol means also buying some more mags to compete with it and another holster, but if it will help me improve my game it will be worth it.

I also started with the G19 and shortly moved to the 34. Nothing wrong with the G19 but you will appreciate the extra sight radius and having a dedicated competition gun where you can get some trigger work done on it.

No rush but if you know you are going that way eventually any way then why wait?

Yea that's what I was thinking, I wanted to keep the 19 stock and mod the 34 for competition. I already put a gen3 trigger bar in the 19 (gen4) along with a minus connector and some competition springs. I left out the 4# striker spring because when paired with the heavier comp trigger spring, the trigger safety does not re-engage after the trigger resets. I plan on putting all stock parts back in it and maybe putting those in the g34.

Thanks for the response

• 1 month later...

Sounds like a great plan. I would consider a g35 with a conversion barrel instead of a g34. Then when you want to switch from production to limited you can run major power factor. I wish someone would have told me this two years ago.

I have both a Glock 19 and 34, and an M&P Pro, and 1911, and ...... Absolutely nothing wrong with having many many many pistols for competiton or just because you want another one. I've only been shooting for about 5 years and if I had it to do all over again, I would not have bought so many polymer guns, I would have stopped at the Glock 19. I would have saved all my money for reloading and a custom 2011/CZ/Tanfo something.

Now, I have sunk thousands of dollars into modifications on polymer guns that they are still only worth half what I have in them. Don't get me wrong they are fun to shoot, but not as much fun as an awesome 2011/CZ/Tanfo.

Is a Glock 34 better at competition than a Glock 19, absolutely. But, I wouldn't do it again.

If you want an awesome production gun buy a Tanfoglio Stock II or CZ 75 SP-01 variant, far better than a Glock 34 and not that much more expensive. I you want an awesome limited gun, well there are a ton of great options like a custom/semi-custom 2011/CZ/Tanfo or a tricked out Glock 22 with a Taylor Freelance Barrel Shroud, X brand trigger, SJC frame weight, and SJC magwell. But even that tricked out Glock 22 will have you bumping $1300 if you started from the ground up.

The Glock 34 (don't get me wrong, I do love mine) will always score minor power factor, I think I will dedicate mine to 3Gun and start saving for better options and quit spending money dressing up polymer guns.

If you want an awesome production gun buy a Tanfoglio Stock II or CZ 75 SP-01 variant, far better than a Glock 34 and not that much more expensive.

Um. Twice as much is "not that much more expensive"?

You are correct, expensive is relative to an individual, I only want to express my opinion. I'm not rich, by anyone's standards, I would recommend saving that $600-700 you would spend on a Glock 34 and wait another 6-12 months and see if you have enough to buy something better. Like almost every Glock owner I know (including myself) invests way to much into a Glock, and when you're done, you still only have a used Glock worth about half what you have invested into it.

I've been down this road, still heading down this road :) I wouldn't recommend it.

Here are the scores from a local USPSA match back in August, won by Tyler shooting a Glock 19 in Production. There is no way I could have done it, it's just a suggestion that shooting a Glock 19 isn't so bad, while I recommend saving your money and buying a really awesome pistol.

https://practiscore.com/results.php?uuid=55A18C37-5075-4982-AC00-547516531093&page=matchCombined

There are so many better options today, some of those may be unicorns. Here is a CZ SP-01 New by Cajun Gun Works for $998 (~$300 more than a new Glock 34), I would dare say, a much better option.

http://cajungunworks.com/guns_for_sale.html

CZ SP-01 Decocker (91153) & Manual Safety 9mm Pistols (CZ91152)
Our SP-01's start at $998.00 for a NIB CZ-SP-01 with our excellent Pro-Package. We can build your SP-01 to any level you want, from range, to target, to competition including Production Class/IDPA legal.

NIB High-Cap mag SP-01 with CGW Pro-Package​​ IN STOCK $998.00

I've starting playing USPSA Production with a Glock 34 Gen 4 and I've really been surprised at the performance I've gotten out of it. It's weirdly accurate. Certainly more accurate than I am at this relatively early point in my shooting career. I've been able to nail small bits of steel under pressure at some pretty long ranges (35 yards, etc) under pressure. If you look at my classifier scores you'll see that I'm just Johnny Nobody.

I'm going to run an SVI 1911 for Single Stack and I'm just going to stick with the G34 Gen 4 for Production. I like it that much. It's certainly reliable and that's a big plus for me. Sure, I suck, but at least I don't have to worry about my Production pistol throwing up on it's shoes in the middle of a match.

And I just adore my Comp-Tac International holster for my G34. Pure awesome. Great retention when I'm resetting stages, but still a very easy draw when the buzzer goes off.

If you want an awesome production gun buy a Tanfoglio Stock II or CZ 75 SP-01 variant, far better than a Glock 34 and not that much more expensive. I you want an awesome limited gun, well there are a ton of great options like a custom/semi-custom 2011/CZ/Tanfo or a tricked out Glock 22 ...

Uh, no offense, but do you actually own and shoot any of the "awsome" guns you mention? I mean, it's nice to be enthusiastic about something, but until you've put some real time in and seen *significant* results, it's just enthusiasm.

There have been many conversations here about whether it's the equipment makes the mark, or the shooter. Most seem to feel that it's the shooter, with skills honed by hours of practice. A new gun always feels good, but it's still the shooter that makes the difference.

And the gap between a Glock and the CZ/Tanfos is bigger than you might think. New G34, add a trigger or trigger job, comp sights (fiber optic), and grip tape, and you're talking maybe $750-$800. The CGW SP01 starts at $998 but will be a few hundred more with the parts you'll want. SP01 Shadows run $1360 and up. Not knocking them - they're great guns and are popular - but so are Glocks in the hands of good shooters.

Bottom line - if you want a particular gun, get it, but don't get drawn into the "this gun is the best" debate.

(owner/shooter of Sig, Glock, M&P, S&W, STI, Ruger, Beretta - and shoot best with whatever I practice the most with)

Edited by teros135

If you want an awesome production gun buy a Tanfoglio Stock II or CZ 75 SP-01 variant, far better than a Glock 34 and not that much more expensive. I you want an awesome limited gun, well there are a ton of great options like a custom/semi-custom 2011/CZ/Tanfo or a tricked out Glock 22 ...

Uh, no offense, but do you actually own and shoot any of the "awsome" guns you mention? I mean, it's nice to be enthusiastic about something, but until you've put some real time in and seen *significant* results, it's just enthusiasm.

There have been many conversations here about whether it's the equipment makes the mark, or the shooter. Most seem to feel that it's the shooter, with skills honed by hours of practice. A new gun always feels good, but it's still the shooter that makes the difference.

And the gap between a Glock and the CZ/Tanfos is bigger than you might think. New G34, add a trigger or trigger job, comp sights (fiber optic), and grip tape, and you're talking maybe $750-$800. The CGW SP01 starts at $998 but will be a few hundred more with the parts you'll want. SP01 Shadows run $1360 and up. Not knocking them - they're great guns and are popular - but so are Glocks in the hands of good shooters.

Bottom line - if you want a particular gun, get it, but don't get drawn into the "this gun is the best" debate.

(owner/shooter of Sig, Glock, M&P, S&W, STI, Ruger, Beretta - and shoot best with whatever I practice the most with)

no offense taken at all, I don't get my panties in a wad easily especially not because someone may disagree with me. It's my opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree, that is why there are so many options and opinions.

you did bring up some excellent points. No, I don't own a CZ/Tanfo/2011, and I don't mostly because I keep funneling money into my M&Ps and Glocks :) Like I said before I love my M&Ps and Glocks, they are like Barbies, the accessories add up quickly :) I am going to test drive a Tanfoglio Witness Elite Limited tomorrow.

you are also absolutely 100% correct, if you "want" a gun, then buy it... that is a great reason, I have used that reason many times.

buy what you want, at least make an attempt to test drive other shooters equipment first. Maybe that will be better advice :)