Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking fora starting point.

Open1215

Hello. I'm sending my gun to have a compensator and a V-6 port installed on it. It will be a match 4.75inch barrel before the comp so with threading I'm guessing right at 5in then a comp. I'm planning on doing some loading while my gun is gone so that when it returns I can start shooting. I will be using starline 38 super comp brass CCI #400 SRP and a 124 Xtreme hp. Powder options are

Hs-7, Hs-6, Autocomp, Vv 3n38, and accurate #7 any one running a 5in gun with a few poppet holes please let me know. I would prefer not to have more then 25 loads to keep track of for the range trip. Lol thank you for the help!

I know with the tanfo V-12 guns it takes a lot more powder to make maj so I'm hoping going with th v6 it won't be too bad but I will have a much better cormp. Idk. I look forward to toying with this gun. It took me over 2 years of drooling, saving, swapping, selling, and building to get it so I'm just glad to be sending it off next week! I loved my glock but I really wanted a tanfo or a 1911 for open. I have a PT frame I'm collecting parts for but I'm really happy with my tanfo!

25 loads or 25 trips, the choice is yours :)

You have a lot of powders to choose from, but which do you have the most of? If you spend half a pound developing the perfect load, then only have half a pound left to shoot, you'll spend years hunting for more of that powder.

The trouble with load development is there are enough options to make your head spin. I suggest you bring a bunch of test loads for the powder you have the most of or the one you can most easily get more of, then just one or two loads each of all the powders you have, just to get some baseline data and a good idea where the powders line up with one another.

That way on your next trip you can hopefully get pretty close to where you want to be in all the powders and can compare.

If you want to drop one to make it simpler, I would drop Autocomp, it's the fastest of the group and would likely be less than optimal for 38. You can also compare published load data for the different powders to get a ball park idea of where to start.

I have just under 4 lb 3n38 no clue when I can get more. 2 lb each of hs-6 and hs-7 I know I'll never find hs7 again. Autocomp about 3/4 lb but I can get more of that. I have 1lb of acc #7 and I'm not sure if I can get more or not. 800x I'm not a fan of but I can get it whenever I would want more.

10.0 of 3n38. 5' barrel 4 popple holes in the barrel. 171pf. was shooting n350 (great powder) ran out went 3n38 much nicer powder. fireballs and load with 3n38 but the dot stays in the glass tracks a bit better than n350. but it is a bit more of a dirty powder compared to the n350.

Yep. If say the auto comp or hs6 or 3n38 with that one being the favorite.

For me my best load so far is:

Tanfo v12 (12 small popper holes and 2 chamber comp)

Starline 38 super brass

Fed srp

Frontier 124gn CMJ RN

1.250 OAL

Vv 3n38 10.4gn

~170pf and very flat to shoot.

I only need 160 for major (ipsc rules) but it shoots nicer like this anyway.

I'd suggest with 6 holes (assuming they are of similar size to the factory tanfoglio holes) that around 10.2gn of 3n38 will be a nice load. Maybe even 10gn

I'd suggest work up from 9gn or 9.5gn if you're confident.

You shouldn't need to go past 10.5gn. Even at 10.4gn I'm getting near to it being a compressed load as the case is about 80% full.

A 38 super case is 1.14cc my 10.4gn load is .87cc. Interestingly my n350 load is 8.8gn which is also .87cc. N350 is easy to set that way as 10gn is very near to 1.0cc.

Edited by BeerBaron

Ok I also loaded last night.

Hs-7 9-9.5-10.0-10.2g

Autocomp 6.5-7.0-7.5g

The build was delayed a few weeks because my cars radiator went out. Lol. However my gun is getting mailed off Monday morning :-) I'm not 100% on his turnaround time but I am really really looking forward to having this gun finished. It took me 2 years to build my glock in 9mm maj and I sold it after shooting it for a few weeks. I liked it but I always wanted a steel frame gun in 38super comp and now I will at long last have one. :-)

I will post chronograph data on this link once I get the gun back and shoot it.

Side note. Has anyone measured the difference in internal case volume between starline supercomp and tj brass?

I ask because I have about 30-40 tj cases floating around in my comp brass and don't want to be near max load and damage anything...