Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who makes the best moving targets?

johniac7078

My club is starting IDPA style action shooting. So far, we are limited to an indoor range until we can modify our outdoor ranges. To make our "mini matches" more interesting, we want to incorporate moving target. We have a Nevco swinger-pretty good, and a Nevco drop turner-very crude but passable, and a nevco stomp box-very finicky. In any event, we want to add more drop turners, and out and backs. Can you folks give me an idea of who makes the better products? We need to be able to activate them mechanically-pull a chord, stomp box etc.

Any other ideas to make indoor COFs more interesting would be great.

Thanks!

A couple of other things that you might consider to make indoor IDPOA matches more interesting (1) If you have the capability to dim the overhead lighst on a stage, do it and allow flashlights. Most people don't practice with them, and this can be an eye opener. IDPA rules allow this. A 'range' flashlight should be available for those that don't have one (2) tight non-threats, requiring a high level of accuracy (3) Generous use of painted hardcover on the targets (4) if you can break a stage up with portable walls/doors to create a mini dim light house clearing scenario, it's another interesting wrinkle, especially with a flashlight.

An indoor range provides different options than an outdoor range. One thing to try and avoid is to make it a "mini outdoor range COF... i.e too many "Engage T1 - T3 from P1, advance to P2 and engage T4-T6. The shorter bay distance requires some creativity, but the dimmer light opens the door to COFs that can't be run outdoors. I would suggest not trying to take an indoor range and make and outdoor match. Use the range restrictions to create a different match. I have even been on indoor ranges that allowed lasers for "the other matches beyond the 6 IDPA rules matches" that an affiliated club is required to run annually. Those laser matches were popular and fun. Laser's were scored in a separate division from the regular IDPA divisions.

I have Nevco stuff for my personal practice but can't imagine they'd live long under club useage. For that I like all of MGM's stuff. Swinger, drop turner, steel plate, slider triple dropper, poppers to activate and their stomp box is great. Get two of all of these. hahahaha.

Indoor matches are made "fun" with super tight targets, max number of no shoots, single hand shooting and as much movement as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...