Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3x9 scope for 3 gun

I was thinking about going with a 3x9 scope and offset irons for a new 3 gun set up. a lot of the matches I have been shooting at have targets out to 400 yards and a little farther some times. The little 1x3 power I have been using is not enough. Just wondering if any one else is running a set up like this and if they like it.

Putting a 3-9 on your gun would make you use the offset irons most of the time, unless your matches are primarily 400yd shots.

I believe most people are using 1-4, 1-5, or 1-6.

Burris Tac30 or MTac,

Primary Arms 1-6

Vortex Razor HD 1-6

We have a local shooter that uses a 3-9. I do not think it is the way to go especially with the field of view issues. If you cannot discern the targets though give it a go. I would recommend a 2-7 or 1.5-6 instead of jumping all the way to 9. The quality 1-6 cost a lot so setteling for a 1.5 or 2 is better than 3. If you already have the 3-9 then slap it on and see what you think.

Those off-set 45 degree irons are definitely an acquired taste. I tried some for about 4 months early on with a 4x ACOG as my optic. I like to shoot with a strong cheek & shoulder weld on my rifle. I could never get comfortable with the rifle canted. It felt too loose.

If you haven't, I'd try out a rifle with canted sights before dropping coin on them.

Started with a 3-9, went to a 2-7, then 1.5-6 then 1-4 and most recently a 1-5. I'd rather run a 1-3 at RM3G or Blue Ridge than a 3-9 to be honest, even with side irons. Realize that James Casanova has outright won the long range stages at several majors (over open and Tac-Ops guys) with a 1x optic. It is more about holds, technique and practice than magnification.

There are several decent optics in the budget range, most notably the Burris Tac30 and MTAC 1-4 that are about $300 and $400. There are also lots of other good choices in the 1-4 through 1-6 that would be a good choice. The better the glass, the less you need the magnification...some cheap varible optics (like in the $250 and less range) are harder to hit with at 600 than a 1x with good glass (or no glass :) ).

Mark speaks the truth. I currently run a < $250 optic with pretty pathetic glass. I was convinced I needed a 6x scope for longer range stuff till I looked through some quality 4x's. The better glass makes it seem like a higher powered scope, but I do still want a 6x.