Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Marauder for limited?

3djedi

Yea I'm sure that he probably has gotten enough questions about it to add that to the description. Just like what they tell you in school, if you work up the nerve to ask the question, there are probably 5 more people who have the same question but didn't ask.

And yea he does seem a bit peeved at them, I wonder why that would be?

STI just went dealer direct, Brazos and Dawson are the only online companies that will still sell STI guns to individuals. But they can no longer offer dealer discounts to FFL holders, which is how I was buying for the shop from Dawson. Now I cant get them through STI because I don't have a retail showroom. SC and Oakhill are also out. There's a long thread over on 1911forum about this and which models are discontinued.
Wow seems like yhat is going to hurt their business, there aren't that many stocking STI dealers out there. I know in my area there is only one, and it's not exactly close by. It seems like the majority of their sales would come through the interwebz.

I emailed Chuck at shooters connection and he assured me these were made by STI.

Chuck/the guys at SC wouldn't make that up.

If they did get them converted by someone afterwards, the price would be a lot higher.

They've gotten VIPs in 38 super, also.

IIRC, you can get special runs from STI as long as you order 10 minimum (although that may have changed).

I know the VIP in 38 super is made by them, I own one.

I handled one of these in 9mm yesterday at a local gunshop. The slide to frame fit was what you would expect from STI, but the ambi safety was extremely mushy and the trigger was harsh, probably in the 5+ pound range.

Picked it up today. I thought the safety felt crisp. You should try a tanfoglio those are really mushy.

The trigger wasn't very impressive. Seems like it had a lot of pretravel and pretty heavy pull. It didn't seem to have a crisp break either. We put it on a scale and it broke at right about 4lbs.

I noticed the front sight wasn't centered in the dovetail.

This is just from quickly looking at it at the gun store when I picked up.......

Edited by 3djedi

Don't know much about 1911 style guns but how hard is it to get the trigger from 4lbs to around 2.5lbs?

Is it something I can do myself or should I send it to a Smith?

It's pretty easy with the factory parts if you have the fixtures to square up everything. I had Vigil Tripp do mine and the trigger is real sweet, breaks right at 2 1/4 lbs. He used all the factory parts just got everything working right.

For the same price you can get an EGW kit and hope you get it right.

Don't know much about 1911 style guns but how hard is it to get the trigger from 4lbs to around 2.5lbs?

Is it something I can do myself or should I send it to a Smith?

I did my first one a while back using factory STI hammer and sear. Great break, average of 2 lbs 6 oz. I bought the ed brown sear jig, some feeler gauges, and the Brownells stone set. It was actually very easy.

Pretravel and overtravel are very easy. Bob at Brazos did a good article on that. You can reduce the pull weight by adjusting the sear spring. There is a good guide on the Brownells site on this. I'd recommend picking up a few springs so if you wind up with follow or any other issues you can drop in the old spring.

I'm doing a new trigger job on my limited gun, this time with Koenig/EGW parts aiming for 1.75 lbs. I don't have any complaints about my current setup, but I like the way the Koenig sounds in dry fire...

I like the idea of the maurauder! I'd put a bulbless flashlight on one if I had one for the Bob factor. No lead for me though!

Thanks.

The marauder feels nicely balanced. The edge always felt heavy to me. So I'll probably skip the Bob light...lol

I am a light gun fiend. I like 40s to be 34-36 oz or so, and light in the nose. I'd only add the flashlight shell empty for the controversy factor... paired with a briley aluminum guide rod to make up the added weight.