Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody have experience using Nooks in cold weather?

We got a local match coming up this Saturday and I am wondering how well the Nooks with the Practiscore program will perform in the cold. We are looking at starting the day in single digit temps and warming up to mid 20's. Does any have experience using the Nooks in cold weather? I have paper scoresheets ready to go as back-up. Thanks for the input.

Edited by -=VILLAMOR=-

Keep them warm before the match and between shooters, inside a jacket or vehicle, for instance. Battery gets low faster in cold. Left in unheated stats shack during the week, needed to charge over an hour to even power up.

I've used them around 30 degrees and while slower than normal, they worked ok. Biggest issue I have when it's cold is the router. It lives in our unheated storage shack and when the temp gets below 40 degrees it tends to stop working and I can't sync.

Well, we now know how well the Nooks perform in the cold.

The morning at the range started out at 1 degree, gradually warmed to about 20 degrees in the afternoon. I kept the Nooks in a warm and running truck during registration which I did with an iPad mini. Within a couple of minutes of taking the Nooks out of the car to sync them in the bed of my truck, they began to freeze up. The screens became unresponsive and I had to place them back in the warm cab to get them started.

After they warmed up, they started to function like normal again. But within minutes of getting them out to the stages, they quickly froze up. Keeping them inside the jacket kind of help, but constantly bringing them out to input scores didn't get them warmed up fast enough in between. They froze mush faster than we can get them warmed up. To keep things running smoothly, we resorted to using up a couple of cars and just keep the nooks inside cars.

The iPad mini performed much better in the cold, but after prolonged exposure in the cold, it also began to act sluggish.

We held a Multi Gun match today. Temps started out 8-9* then eventually made low 20's by the time the match was over. Cold depletes batteries faster.. but leaving the WiFi on the Nook when not needed, positively DRAINS them. You should still be able to do a match w/o the Nook shutting off cuz of low power. We try to keep them inside jackets with the back of the Nook to the shooter when not scoring. Seemed to work ok. We have bought some hand warmers to hold on the nooks, just didn't use them today. 4 stages, 2 relays of 12 shooters. Need some type of pouch to keep them in with the warmer(like stated above, just something waaaay cheaper.) Our Nook's have a leatherette cover on them BTW.

John

• 2 weeks later...