Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me figure out my Gold Custom

scottlep

Just bought this V12 Gold Custom off the BE Classified. Great condition and couldn't beat the price, especially with all the extras the seller had in with the deal. Just looking for some help figuring out what all is done to it that might not be stock. Does the hammer seem original? I haven't really seen this shape hammer on a GC before. I am also trying to figure out what weight recoil spring is in it right now. I can't find any markings on the spring except a purple stripe running the length of the spring. The guide rod seems like a Tanfo, and the trigger seems original. The trigger breaks around 2.5 lbs, which isn't bad but could be lighter.

post-43369-0-91673900-1415318422_thumb.j

I have been working on 38 SuperComp Major loads. Have a good load so far worked out with AutoComp and a 125 grain Xtreme bullet. I also have some Bayou Bullets on the way to test out too. For others out there running a GC, what weight recoil spring, hammer spring, etc are you running?

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by scottlep

What load are you running with AutoComp? I just got one and I haven't had time to mess with springs but also whatever in it has been running good but only one match with it. Plan on stripping down next month and when clean it good check and test some springs. I ran some bayou 124s with 7.7 grain AutoComp and made PF but think losing too much gas so bumped to 7.9 for next test whenever that comes.

I'm sad I didn't trade one of my Stock II for that gun a little, lol. Such a nice blaster

Edited by bayougump

That is a factory Tanfo hammer, my Limited has the same one; I think it may have predated the heart shaped hammer.

8-10# recoil spring and 16-18# hammer spring will serve you well. The reduced power trigger return spring for CZ from CGW will reduce your trigger pull by as much as 8oz, CZ sear springs are also lighter than Tanfo springs and a reduced power trigger plunger spring from Henning will get you were you want to be :cheers:

All my misc springs came over the weekend. Since I wasn't sure what was in the gun when I bought it I decided to replace all the springs, except for the plunger. Put in the CGW trigger return, a 10lb Wolff recoil and 14lb Wolff hammer spring. Trigger is now below 2 pounds. Going to test it today to make sure the 14lb hammer spring will set off Federals SRPs. Also bumped my load up to 7.5 of Autocomp with the 124 Bayou bullet so I am a bit over Major PF. I will share the chrono data later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So....another question. Do you guys tune the ejectors in your Gold Customs/Tanfos? This one throws the brass about 25 feet, which makes it really hard to find my expensive Starline brass even when just doing test loads. I have my 2011 tuned to pretty much drop the brass in a small pile about 5 feet to my right. I would be nice to be able to the same with the GC. I know I am going to lose a lot of brass shooting matches, but would like to be able to find as much as possible when practicing.

Thanks!

I try to get the booth all the way to the right so the wall stops my brass.

Ha. I shoot outdoors most of the time. Was thinking of making some kind of backstop out of tarps. But that wouldn't help if I was on the move. Maybe I can train my kids to run along side of me with a net to catch the brass.

Just for shits and giggles I ran some 9mm thru the GC today. Ran flawlessly. I had a bunch of different test loads laying around, so I tried a few of each. As it is currently set up, the gun had no problem running 9mm loads as light as 5.4 grains if Autocomp all the way up to 6.8, which was the hottest I had. Accuracy wasn't too bad from what I could tell. Might be what I use when I shoot Steel Challenge so I don't lose too much 38 SuperComp brass.

Also, here is the data from my latest chrono session with the 124 Bayou and 7.5 grains of Autocomp.

post-43369-0-15648000-1415818884_thumb.j

Edited by scottlep

Just for shits and giggles I ran some 9mm thru the GC today. Ran flawlessly. I had a bunch of different test loads laying around, so I tried a few of each. As it is currently set up, the gun had no problem running 9mm loads as light as 5.4 grains if Autocomp all the way up to 6.8, which was the hottest I had. Accuracy wasn't too bad from what I could tell. Might be what I use when I shoot Steel Challenge so I don't lose too much 38 SuperComp brass.

Also, here is the data from my latest chrono session with the 124 Bayou and 7.5 grains of Autocomp.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-11-12 at 2.00.53 PM.jpg

I know you've posted a few chrono results using the same powder and OAL I'm using in my .38 super Gold Custom. Have you noticed a certain load that's shooting the flattest or seems to be utilizing the comp and ports the most?

Besides over the chrono I really haven't put many rounds thru the gun to notice if some loads seem flatter. I don't have many Federal SRPs, so I haven't been able to work up any big batches to test how the gun actually shoots. Right now I am just trying to see where I hit Major PF. I do like the way the 124s Bayous shoot as compared to the 135s. Once I get more primers I will do some more testing. The 7.5AC load I shot today felt good. I sighted the gun in at 25 yards from bench rest and once I got it zeroed it could put 5 rounds thru the same hole at 25 yards. When shooting freestyle the dot seems like it barely moves more than an 1/8th inch on the glass. Right now I am sitting at 169PF which might be a little too close for comfort.

scottlep, mine does the same with brass as do the 4 other guys with gold customs in my club. mine might be even a bit worse than theres as I run a sprinco so it has a fairly light initial spring then the heavy secondary spring kicks in probably just after the brass has ejected. I don't know anyone who's really cured it but tuning the ejector could help. it does suck not being able to find expensive brass! starline here runs to about 0.25 cents USD a piece here for brand new!! ouch.

Do you need to use the Sprinco in order to use the 8# recoil spring? I finally cleaned my Gold Custom last night since getting it and first off it was unbelievably dirty, still haven't gotten all the carbon out but did remove a lot. I also want to change out sear spring, recoil spring, FP spring, and plunger spring just since I do not know how many rounds were shot thru it before I purchased it and like to start out with fresh springs so I can kinda keep track of the round count using them.

• 4 weeks later...