Slide Mounted Optics?!

bigdawgbeav

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pick a card out of a new deck, multiply that number by 3.1414 and add 30 to it. That should be the number of days after the winter equinox that the ruling comes out of Berryville.

(I think this method is as accurate as any other prediction as to when we will know. :roflol: )

• 1 month later...

I dunno. I've read a few things recently on my local club forums that seem to suggest that the CCP division is going to win out. Not that I'm against it, but I really wanted to get an optics equipped gun for idpa. But along with the CCP division passing, I think there's a change in pistol legality for BUG.

Again, nothing concrete, just some stuff I've gathered.

I was and am hoping for an optics division it kind of new and trending direction for carry weapons. Already got an M&P CORE with an optic and I'd sure like to give it a try at IDPA. Seems like a Compact division is kind of redundant but maybe not. Guess it's wait and see.

Edited by shotgunone

I shot NFC last night with a slide ride optic. Never shot a red dot on a pistol before. It was a lot of fun!

That being said, the optic division won't be making the cut. Fortunately, that doesn't stop us from continuing to show up with red dots mounted on our pistols.

While my primary gun is out of commission, I'll be shooting NFC.

That being said, the optic division won't be making the cut.

Is there news on that front?

How well did you shoot with an optic compared to iron sights?

My club is posting info on what makes a legal CCP pistol. Knowing what members we have on board, that tells me that the discision was made. I'm hoping that HQ posts some info on how they came to that conclusion though as I was really hoping for Optics.

A far as shooting optics... It's freaking cheating awesome!

I'd never shot a pistol equipped with a red dot before. While I did take the time at a local indoor range to sight it in, I didn't get any dry fire practice prior to the match. Finding the dot on the draw is different than irons because there is no reference point to help align you as you bring it up to your target. I'll admit that I don't practice anyways but I was able to get a few practice draws at the match to at least have some idea of what I needed to be doing. Up close I didn't see any real advantage with the dot. So for hoser stages it wouldn't be a game changer. Where the dot really shined was anything 10yrds and further. My target acquisition felt quicker and my followup shots were definitely quicker. I didn't feel a need to make up shots on distant targets.

I'm not a uspsa member but if I were, I'd invest in an open gun!

It would be nice to see the shooting industry to be more inclusive rather than exclusive. Seems as though everyone hunkers down in their little corner of the world and thinks that the way they do things is the only way it can ever be done. I probably would never compete in an optics or CCW division but I don't think those shooters should be excluded. I believe in "run what you brung". If somebody shows up, let them shoot. The MD at one of the local matches I attend shoots NFC I think because he is a USPSA/3 gun guy and just wants trigger time.

That was after all the point of NFC. Pretty much any pistol with normal holster and mag pouch rules.

Open gun, yup.

Optics, yup.

Limited, yup.

BUG, yup.

Broom handled mauser, yup.

Luger, yup.

22/45, yup.

What is it about this division that is not inclusive?

Where else can you do this?

My time wasn't any faster than it would have been with irons that night but I was only 3 down after 6 stages. So while I may not have been any faster, I was definitely more accurate. Minus malfunctions I experienced that night, I my have been able to be overall winner. Again, I've never shot with optics before and I'm sure any that actually dry fire practices would see a noticeable gain in speed.

*Full Disclosure: I actually have a flaw in my grip I need to address that is causing malfunctions. My strong hand thumb rubs on the slide while resting on the thumb safety. Both my 1911 and 2011 have the finish worn off from slide where my thumb rubs. My new optics gun is actually a Nelson Custom Conversion kit on top of my custom 2011 (looking to use in steel matches). My thumb rubbing the slide during COF was enough to induce several malfunctions that cost me several seconds on almost each stage. And because I'm shooting .22 ammo, there's always the unavoidable dud rounds from shooting bulk ammo. On the only stage where I had zero malfunctions (1 of 6) I had the fastest stage time. I'm thinking thumb shield safety but I'm wondering if that's more of a bandage than an actual fix.

4b3a8665-38dd-45a4-b2bf-bfd3afc15b73.jpg