Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm SA 1911 Weight

robertg5322

Anyone know the actual weight of a Springfield Armory Loaded 9mm 1911 Target (adjustable sights, fine slide serrations)?

Got one at the gun shop for the 10 day wait (thank you Kalifornia, I feel soooo much safer now that I've had 10 days to cool down), getting parts ordered and wondering if a standard Wilson Combat steel MSH/magwell (I have one laying around, so it's a free option) will take the gun over the 43 oz USPSA Single Stack class weight limit and force me to get a Dawson Precision aluminum MSH/Magwell.

Of note, I am removing the Springfield Armory ILS fustercluck MSH one way or the other. Also replacing the FLGR with a traditional guide rod and spring cap. Other than that, no other upgrades that will affect weight.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Mine( barely) makes the IDPA weight with the original plastic MSH and aluminum Dawson ICE magwell. I shortened the two piece guide rod so I could disassemble the gun with out tools. ILS gone, 10# and 17# springs, extended firing pin.

C

Not sure on the Springfield, but my Spartan was too heavy with a steel m/s magwell combo & steel guide rod. I went with the Briley alum. rod & Dawson Ice with alum. m/s housing. Weight is measured with a mag inserted, so that could help.

Picked it up today. I'll weigh it and see if S/A is honest with their 41 oz. claim.

Also have traditional short GI guide rod and cap and S/A magwell/MSH in steel on another gun. I'll install this on it to see where I'm at.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

GI guide rod and cap, Wilson Combat magwell and MSH (stainless), wood grips with skate tape on them and skate tap on front strap, Metalform 10 round mag with plastic base, total weight 411.6 oz. Calibrated the scale, it was right on. Weight of .40 S&W Kimber frame with STI slide, set up exactly the same came in at 41.3 oz. That's what it weighed at Golden Bullet Regional match earlier this year so I am feeling like I can trust the scale.

Only difference other than STI slide scallops vs. Springfield slide scallops was new Hogue grips on 9mm were hollowed out in rear, grips on Kimber were solid.

I believe replacing the FLGR with the GI unit makes a considerable difference.

I have the Springfield 9mm loaded. Dawson ICE magwell, Tripp Research mags with Dawson pads, VZ G10 grips, trigger has been upgraded by SVI Infinity and I had to put in the shorty GI rod to make weight on a calibrated Postal Scale. Comes in a 42.6 oz. Been tested at three major matches. I was using a titanium GR with VZ slims but too close to make weight. So GI shorty was the trick. your mileage may vary but this will get it close. If not, hollow out the grips, go to slim grips etc. I had SA stainless magwell before and did not make weight. Good shooting gun though and friends use it and love it. It is my back up to my SVI Infinity 2011 now.

Grips are plain wood Hogues with grip tape over them. Apparently Hogue now hollows them out for you. Your Dawson pads aluminum or plastic?

I have Metalform mags with plastic pads. Once I have the magwell (waited on ordering it until I could test gun weight with magwell from my .40 gun) installed, I'll weigh it again to be sure. GI guide rod is hollow, which helps too.

Got hollowed out Hogue wood grips (they come from Hogue like that now, nice) with skate tape on them, GI guide rod and Ed Brown steel magwell/MSH, and Metalform magazines with plastic basepads and it comes in at 41.6 oz.

Only thing left is lightening and smoothing the trigger and sighting it in. Another week and it'll be on the range.

Thanks all for the info.

Bob