Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RMR help

3djedi

I'm setting up a glock 17 with an RMR. Pistol will be used for mainly home defense and range fun and MAYBE try it for open for fun. I've been looking at RMR's on the web and see there are a lot of different options as far as MOA dot size, color, adjustable LED, and dual illuminated. Can anyone recommend which way to go?

Thanks!

Avoid trijicon dual illuminated, can't speak for the other trijicon RMR models, I can tell you a delta point is hard to beat and jpoint is also a very good RMR. I prefer the triangle shape sight because you can use it as a red dot for fast target acquisition and the tip of the triangle for precise shots.

Edited by Mad Doc

Thanks!

Is there a standard in mounting? I have a ZEV glock slide with a rmr mount milled into the slide. It says trijicon rmr but will other brands mount?

And why do you say avoid the dual illuminated?

Edited by 3djedi

What Matt said! I have an RMR07 on my G19 and it is perfect. Tough, small and bright. I leave it on and have had the same battery in it for 7-8 months now. It's my main daily carry and I shoot it quite often, never an issue.

If your slide is already cut for the RMR then to me it's a no brainer.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

The delta point will not fit on the ZEV slide, go with the trijicon. The reason I don't like the dual illuminated is that if you are under a shade the triangle is very faint even in darkness is hardly visible. Also they use a tint on the glass to give color to the triangle so shooting with both eyes open is kind of weird when your dominant eye is looking through a purple colored lens and your other eye is observing through natural light.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there is any. I was trying to find some use for my green triangle RMR so I mounted it on my MP5 and used it for a 2 gun match last weekend and it was horrible it was a sunny day and I could see the triangle well but if the targets were in a shaded area they were very hard to find due to the redish tint of my sunglasses and the purple tint of the RMR. So I'm putting it up for sale on a different forum. I have a trijicon accupoint with a green triangle and I love it I was hoping the RMR would have been as good but it's quite a disappointment.

• 3 months later...

I actually got to try the RM05, Dual Illuminated 9 moa green dot yesterday. I think it's fine! Should work on a Glock open gun. This was mounted on a G19 slide, low mounted by Suarez. I shot it at an indoor range and I was able to vary the amount of light above my head, and hence, shining on the RMR.