Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock cleaning tips?

Highwayman

While I've owned this Glock for a few years and have actively cleaned it every range trip, I'm now doubting my expertise following its first detail strip. I'm going back to basics, presenting you with my steps to cleaning my Glock for any corrections, tips, or suggestions.

Step 1:Field strip

Step 2:Use dry flannel rag to collect grime from chamber, slide, and receiver.

Step 3:Use q-tips and rag around a plastic card to collect grime from rails, receiver.

Step 4:Use Hoppes #9 on Boresnake, run through barrel.

Step 5: Use old toothbrush dipped in Hoppes #9 on slide and receiver

Step 6: Dry all parts, removing solvent off.

Step 7: Use solvent dipped Glock-issued bore brush. Run patches through barrel.

Step 8: Use q-tip coated in Hoppes elite oil to lubricate worn shiny parts, inside of slide, trigger connector, and outside of barrel.

Step 9: Two drops of oil in slide rails, let them drip down the slide vertically.

Step 10: Reassemble weapon.

Step 1: Field Strip

Step 2: Spray the heck out of it with gunscrubber. Use toothbrush as needed to loosen gunk.

Step 3: Spray liberally with aerosol CLP.

Step 4: Spray with compressed air to remove excess oil.

Step 5: Dry grip with dirty napkins.

No more than once every 5-10k rounds.

Edited by peterthefish

I would strip it completely down once or twice a year (trigger assembly out, striker, extractor, firing pin safety, all of it) and fully clean it out. You'd be surprised how much junk builds up in the striker channel and firing pin safety pocket in the slide. I've stripped guns apart that were so dirty internally that it added a few pounds to the trigger pull weight.

• 2 weeks later...

To answer the question. ..

Most of the time, my routine is as follows:

G34 (USPSA gun)

-Most of the time: not clean it at all

-Prior to club match if it's really dirty; boresnake, light oil on slide rails and connector.

-Light cleaning, every few months; Field strip, knock the crud off of the internals, brush out the barrel.

-Full clean; twice in three years, full detail strip and clean.

I'm close to another full detail strip since I'm done with matches for the year and I want to try to improve my trigger. I've also passed 10k rounds through the gun now.

Carry gun (G19 on duty, G 22 on duty) I'll field strip and wipe down, as well as pull a boresnake through it.

G22 gets used a shot or two at a time here and there for putting down deer, I don't worry about cleaning it each time. Actually whenever I do clean it, something happens in the atmosphere to cause a deer to get hit by a car and me to have to shoot it, so I try to avoid cleaning that one.

Edited by AJE

Field strip

Get the majority of the gunk with a dry rag

Dry Bore Snake through the barrel 5 or 6 times.

A drop of oil here and there.

Put it back together

Wipe down with a dry rag.

Safety check

Back in the safe it goes.

It's a GLOCK not a metal gun. GLOCK's don't like to much oil and they run just fine a little dirty.