Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie Reloader Question: Pop vs. Bang?

salemsm

I recently purchased a Dillon RL550B and just finished making my first load of 38 special rounds. When comparing them to store-bought rounds, there was hardly any kick from my 357 and I heard a mere pop instead of the normal bang.

Particulars:

Per advice from this forum, I purchased Hodgdon Trail Boss Powder and created my rounds using CCI #500 Small Pistol Primers and a 158 GR bullet.

Per the Hodgdon Reloading Chart, the range of Trail Boss for a 158 GR 38 Special Bullet is between 2.7 and 4.2 gr. I used a conservative 2.8 gr. to start with.

When using a bullet puller, I did not notice any difference in taking apart a store-bought vs. a bullet that I made so I believe I have the crimping die set correctly.

Is this issue a result of being too conservative with the powder load? Any thoughts from the veterans out there would be most welcome.

Remember that you are loading a 38spl to shoot in a 357 gun. 2.8 is very light. I've found that the accuracy suffers that low. I can't say that you shouldn't be conservative when starting out. I am saying that you should start bumping up that load a bit. Try 3.0 then 3.2 then 3.4 and see how you like it. What gun are you shooting? What bullet? What OAL? For a snubby it might make sense to stay light for comfort. For a full size gun this load is too light. Just my opinion.

I see you are loading trail boss. That is not a performance powder, its specially made for cowboy action loads to fill the case. You will see that when comparing that data to other .38 or .357 data that you will get much more velocity from other powders. The end result is that your loads are going very very slow, too slow to make even minor power factor I suspect, if you are shooting cowboy action you are in luck. I suspect your pushing that 158g bullet at 650 fps as opposed to almost 800 or so FPS with factory ammo. I suspect if and when you want to tip the powder can a little more, and you "can" in a .38 shooting out of a .357 if you want to, you will feel more recoil. There is also a different recoil pulse depending on powder that will five you a different feel.

Thanks to all for additional info. Obviously, not having sufficient powder is just as bad (if not worse!) than too much.

Based on your replies, I will pump up the volume to 3.5 grams of TrailBoss and try it from there.

Update on particulars:

Currently only using these rounds for target practice. I have 2, .357 handguns:

8" Colt Trooper MKIII

6 1/2" S&W 27 Classic

Based on your replies, I will pump up the volume to 3.5 grams of TrailBoss and try it from there.

Hopefully you meant 3.5 GRAINS of Trailboss and not GRAMS. I suppose 3.5 grams of Trailboss would end up on the floor.

As others have mentioned, the only way to know for sure to Chronograph your loads. It's definitely a worthwhile investment and you'll know your ammo is safe for you and your firearm.