Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Powder for open 2011 with comp

Revofan

I use tite group with my limited set ups I have an open 2011 being build and need to learn more about powder wich one and why everyone here seems prity knowledgable and experiences is what I'm looking for ????????

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a great chart thanks I will use for reference but like to know what guys are using and if it helps shoot flat and work the comp well I plan on using 124gr MG jhp and what have you tried and didn't like and why

9 minor in 2011 and 38spl in a 627 v-comp with ported barrel and comp

The difficulty with shooting minor loads through an Open gun is getting enough gas volume to counter muzzle flip effectively. Less powder equals less gas.

I agree That's why I'm reaching out to you more experienced guys for help its a shorty with a shumann tribrid barrel no screw on comp if that helps

With no comp baffles, it's going to get pretty hard in the hand as you jack up the PF. I suggest you get the lightest bullet which will feed reliably, any of those slow powders listed above, load a wide range (130-160pf), shoot them in order of lightest to heaviest and stop when it becomes harsher than you'd like. I shot a quad ported CZ and this point came ~150 PF.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgthis is what I'm using with a 6" slide

I use one of those in .40 (in a 5" slide). It needs about .1 to .2 gr more than a standard comp barrel. I think this is because you have the moral equivalent of a 2" barrel with the ports as well as a smaller "comp". Just pick the lightest bullet you are willing to use and pick a powder from the list and see what happens. You will probably find it will take a while to find the appropriate load for a given velocity. Ideally, you just want it to be just a bit faster burning than when it leaves unburnt powder. You will know when you are getting to optimum by the distance the RO stays back due to the noise. Those barrels are really obnoxious...

Later,

Chuck

I use one of those in .40 (in a 5" slide). It needs about .1 to .2 gr more than a standard comp barrel. I think this is because you have the moral equivalent of a 2" barrel with the ports as well as a smaller "comp". Just pick the lightest bullet you are willing to use and pick a powder from the list and see what happens. You will probably find it will take a while to find the appropriate load for a given velocity. Ideally, you just want it to be just a bit faster burning than when it leaves unburnt powder. You will know when you are getting to optimum by the distance the RO stays back due to the noise. Those barrels are really obnoxious...Later,Chuck

Do you have a pic of your set up ??? Sounds pretty sick

I use one of those in .40 (in a 5" slide). It needs about .1 to .2 gr more than a standard comp barrel. I think this is because you have the moral equivalent of a 2" barrel with the ports as well as a smaller "comp". Just pick the lightest bullet you are willing to use and pick a powder from the list and see what happens. You will probably find it will take a while to find the appropriate load for a given velocity. Ideally, you just want it to be just a bit faster burning than when it leaves unburnt powder. You will know when you are getting to optimum by the distance the RO stays back due to the noise. Those barrels are really obnoxious...Later,Chuck

Do you have a pic of your set up ??? Sounds pretty sick

The right hand picture in this post: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30474&p=350649

That pic was taken almost 11 years ago. I have had some slide lightening done since but I do not have any pics handy...

Later,

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

Well I hear there are a lot better powders but of course you can't get any of those right now.

For 9 Major, AC is pretty good, it's a little faster so it doesn't take as much to make major, but still puts out a good amount of gas. In a full sized gun without holes in the barrel ~6ish grains of AC under a 124 should be pretty soft.

I use ~9gr of slower powder under a 115, it is significantly more violent and is easy to spill as it pretty much fills the case.