Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Bullet Feeder?

I have tried a few searches but nothing comes up with the search terms I am using. But, I was wondering what the consensus is on a bullet feeder for the 650? Mr Bullet, RCBS, Hornady, or GSI? I am kind of leaning toward the Mr. Bullet or the Hornady, but it would be nice to hear a little feedback from people who have actually used them!

Please chime in and say why you like one over the other. The conversions seem a little expensive for the Mr. Bullet, but not sure about the others.

Thanks in advance.

One of my 650's loading with a GSI bullet feeder and powder check seating in #4 and crimping in#5. Can't have a feeder with the others unless you loose the PC or seat and crimp at the same station.

Edited by jmorris

why did you not like the GSI ken?

my 1050's finally arrived, I dont wanna seat & crimp at the same time, and I love my powdercheck die, eventhough the dillon always drops perfect

If you run a 1050 there is an even greater incentive to run a GSI feeder, they are a billet tool head and bullet feeder. I think the last GSI feeders/tool heads I bought for the 1050 were $325 or so without their collator (I build my own) a Dillon 1050 tool head alone will set you back $200 by the time it gets to your door.

why did you not like the GSI ken?

my 1050's finally arrived, I dont wanna seat & crimp at the same time, and I love my powdercheck die, eventhough the dillon always drops perfect

Yeah, I have to agree, once I got the Dillon powder drop dialed in I haven't ever had any problems.

Well, it sounds like I will most likely go with the Mr. Bullet. I was leaning that way anyway. My wife wants me to sell my beater Chevy c1500. I took up all the space in the garage with reloading stuff and other floor tools and no room to park any vehicles in a detached two car garage. She has been on me to sell it as I have been dragging my feet wanting to keep it and fix it up. She finally said, well it is yours and you can spend the money on what ever you want, I just want it gone! Thanks dear, that is what I was wanting/waiting to hear! :devil:

Also, I was toying with the idea of a 1050, but I think it is just too much for the amount I shoot. I was also looking at getting another quick change toohead for 45 acp, but after I added it up (with caliber conversion) I an almost half the price of another 650, so why not get another 650 and a bullet feeder?

Have owned both. Gsi and Mr. Bullett.

Would highly recommend Mr. Bullet Feeder Feeder, have had nothing but great use with it. I run it on a Auto Drive Dillon S1050. Has never given me any trouble.

:cheers:

Sounds like a great setup! Oh....one of these days.....

I'll throw out a different option in the form of a Mini Mr. Bullet Feeder. I've been using one for a couple weeks and it's working out well. Keep in mind, I typically load in smaller batches, 100 to 300 rounds a session. I'd just rather run down stairs, load for a short time and be done. I can do this multiple times during the week. I have 2 of the bullet magazines and load them up while watching TV. I can load up 100 rounds in less than 6 min., once I start pulling the handle.

Just figured I'd throw it out there for anyone else that loads in small volumes like me.

post-47375-0-05917000-1414026457_thumb.j

I dont understand why so many use mrbulletfeeder and so few GSI?

On paper the GSI looks so nice, you both get a 100% accurate seating straight down into brass each time, and no chance of tipover on rotation/indexing, you also get to keep the powdercheck, which I think we can all agree is unneeded, but I love haveing. And for automation its also a nice thing to be able to trigger faults from.

Has anyone tested 105gr LSWC in either? I load a few thousand of theese in 38spl each month and not useing the fingers would be a nice touch, I see they offer profiles for 175/200gr LSWC in .45 but nothing in 9/38

How is loading lead in general with feeders? I have a source for bullets lubed with pretty non sticky lube so they are not that bad really.

I have contacted GSI twice though, with 0 response, so maybe thats why so few buys them...

Edited by ano

I like the idea of their toohead, but it looks like you are forced to use it. It would be nice just to add the bullet feeder to the existing toolhead without having to change your dies. Also, if you have multiple tooheads already setup, it could get expensive buying their toolhead to have the same setup. I have a toolhead setup for .223, 9mm, and .40. I think I am going to break down and set one up for 45 acp also (plug and play!).

I dont understand why so many use mrbulletfeeder and so few GSI?

Price is one reason, the collator is another. I bought my first GSI tool head before they offered a collator and only tried one out when a friend bought a complete setup, it didn't work very well and seemed overly complicated. Those two reasons are why I just use their tool heads and my own collators.

Like I said, on the 1050 they are an even better deal, a complete tool head/feeder is only $125 or so more than a bare tool head from Dillon.

I have KISS feeders (first gen mrbulletfeeder) too though for rifle bullets (GSI only makes a .223 feeder and it is only for the 650).

I load my own cast and coated bullets with the GSI units I can use almost zero bell and still not shave the coating.

IMG_20131009_114251_812_zps9121a3df.jpg

I have seen two other feeders that will feed and seat at the same station as well. One is still made and only costs $25 from Lee precision. Only down side to it is that it doesn't work. There is another that MA Systems used to sell (might still) that was a steel arm/spring adjustable pneumatic fed version that Lee likely copied (poorly) out of plastic.

Edited by jmorris

I have the MA System Easy Loader on my Star. It positions a bullet over the case at the seating station and retracts and picks up another bullet when the tool head touches the arms that hold the round. MA Systems made first class attachments to automate Stars. Sadly they no longer make any of them.

Do you buy precoated jmorris, or do you coat yourself?

thanks for the picture, thats some of what appeals to me with the GSI system, ability to seat lead, and coated 100% straight.

Edited by ano

I'll throw out a different option in the form of a Mini Mr. Bullet Feeder. I've been using one for a couple weeks and it's working out well. Keep in mind, I typically load in smaller batches, 100 to 300 rounds a session. I'd just rather run down stairs, load for a short time and be done. I can do this multiple times during the week. I have 2 of the bullet magazines and load them up while watching TV. I can load up 100 rounds in less than 6 min., once I start pulling the handle.

Just figured I'd throw it out there for anyone else that loads in small volumes like me.

This is EXACTLY what I need. I don't shoot enough to justify a $500 bullet feeder but at $150 this looks like it can really help and it is very simple. (hey kids, load me up some bullets)

I am wondering about the powder drop die they talk about. Why can't I use the regular powder drop belling die that is already in the machine? Does the Mr Bullet Feeder one expand the case differently so the bullet seats more firmly in the case?

You people are looking at the bullet feeders incorrectly. You don't get a bullet feeder because you shoot "X" amount, you get it to enhance the reloading process and save time.

I absolutely love my MBF and 650. If I could do it over again though, I'd probably go straight for a 1050 and add one later. While they are expensive, it's WELL worth the cost.

As for why I chose the MBF, for me it came down to cost, I got the MBF cheaper! I'm also unsure if you can load anything but .223 on the GSI, whereas the MBF has more caliber options.

Edited by polizei1