Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rear sight movement in dovetail on new 2011 build

MTpistolshooter

No the sight shouldn't move in the dovetail. I have a warren tactical bowmar for my Trojan and it was crazy tight. It took a ton of fitting to install. Unfortunately that read sight shot way high so I went to a Dawson rear. There is a set screw that can be tightened also. Unscrew the elevation screw all the way and lift up the blade. Don't lose the spring. There is a set screw that tightens into the dovetail. Make sure that is tight.

bthoefer is correct. I have reviewed your video and your set screw isn't tightened down. That is why it is moving so easily through the dove tail cut in the slide. I had the same issue on a 2011 that I own. Just tighten the set screw and you should have no movement. Then reinstall the elevation screw and you should be gtg after sighting it in. If you have movement after tightening down the set screw, then you have a problem.

Edited by JMike

No the sight shouldn't move in the dovetail. I have a warren tactical bowmar for my Trojan and it was crazy tight. It took a ton of fitting to install. Unfortunately that read sight shot way high so I went to a Dawson rear. There is a set screw that can be tightened also. Unscrew the elevation screw all the way and lift up the blade. Don't lose the spring. There is a set screw that tightens into the dovetail. Make sure that is tight.

bthoefer is correct. I have reviewed your video and your set screw isn't tightened down. That is why it is moving so easily through the dove tail cut in the slide. I had the same issue on a 2011 that I own. Just tighten the set screw and you should have no movement. Then reinstall the elevation screw and you should be gtg after sighting it in. If you have movement after tightening down the set screw, then you have a problem.

I can tell you from first hand experience that even with the set screw torqued down, a rear sight that fits that loosely in the dovetail will eventually shift. I just had a rear sight replaced on an Eagle for this exact reason. The set screw, even with loctite, wouldn't hold the sight in place.

I can tell you from first hand experience that even with the set screw torqued down, a rear sight that fits that loosely in the dovetail will eventually shift. I just had a rear sight replaced on an Eagle for this exact reason. The set screw, even with loctite, wouldn't hold the sight in place.

Thanks for that information. I'll keep an eye on my Edge and see how it goes.

Looks like he is shining a light through the gap between the sight and the bottom of the dovetail cut.

I'm no pro shooter, but I would expect some amount of interference fit with my rear sight. You should be able to move it side to side with some encouragement, but I dont think that it should fall out of the cut without the set screw tightened down.

Exactly. That's some pretty poor work and really unacceptable for a custom gun. I did this one on a little 1950s Clausing 8520. Very snug fit and no light anywhere.

Nice Heinie! LOL

Edited by kcobean

Yes, I shine a light on the other side so I could show the detail. But even without shining a light on it u can still see through it. That is after tightening the set screw.

The rear sight could fall on either side just by shaking the gun just like KCOBEAN on his youtube. No matter how tight the set screw (almost rounded it) but it can only take 11 rounds (9mm) and it will get loose again.

Yes, I shine a light on the other side so I could show the detail. But even without shining a light on it u can still see through it. That is after tightening the set screw.

The rear sight could fall on either side just by shaking the gun just like KCOBEAN on his youtube. No matter how tight the set screw (almost rounded it) but it can only take 11 rounds (9mm) and it will get loose again.

Wasn't my video (it was mtpistolshooter's), but yeah, my gun was the same way. I torqued the set screw down until I was afraid I'd strip the head out of it and it'd make it through one or two stages before it was loose again.

Maybe it is just the angle of the pics, but it looks to me by the photos that it may have been the wrong cutter used. Notice the angle at the top of the dovetail, it appears to me that there is a gap. Maybe just my bad eyes. Either way, it is not acceptable for a custom build. If the smith is a stand up smith, he or she will stand behind it. If they don't, you need to post who built it so it does not happen to someone else.

I'd call the builder. It looks like the sides of the dovetail are cut at the wrong angle if the sight hasn't been touched from looking at your pictures. Tightening the set screw will hold it in place most likely. Since it raises the sight base up into the dovetail I can't really see how it could pivot with the cuts on the base pushed up and into the dovetail cut on the slide, but I would do what you did and see what the builder has to say.