Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering getting an Elite Limited in 40cal

jaep1911

Hi there,

I shoot in Single Stack but I want to start shooting in Limited too as it looks fun. I do not mind reloading (I actually enjoy it) but having 21 rnds in mags and blast the targets away looks tempting:)

Rather than getting a 'standard' STI gun, I am looking into an EAA Elite Limited in 40 cal. I am going to start slowly with a stock gun and gradually mod it as I wish later.

I have a few questions for your, seasoned Tanfoglio shooters:

I shoot with 230gr RN, hitting approx 170 PF in 1911s (Kimber and Springfield). How does the Elite Limtied in 40cal shoot compared to that set-up when it comes to 'felt recolil', provided that I would shoot with 180gr and achieve 170 PF? Just curious...

What modifications would you recommend as a starter? I am not in a hurry now but I want to prepare a budget based on suggestions.

I have rather small hands (I wear small gloves). The single stack 1911s are good to go but would the Elite Limited be a problem for small hands? I wish I could handle one but cannot find any.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance

Edited by jaep1911

You'll enjoy the Elite Limited and it is less expensive to set up than the 2011's. With small hands you may want to add the aluminum grips to make for a thinner grip similar to the 1911.

Shooting 180gr 40SW will probably be a little snappier than the 230gr .45ACP. It won't take long to adjust after a few bill drills.

Although I think the Elite Limited comes stock about ready to go except for spring changes, I just set one up with the following mods:

EGW hammer and sear

Henning magwell

Henning heavy guide rod and tuned 10.25# recoil spring

Henning short flat trigger

Extreme hammer spring and FP spring

Henning extended FP

Dawson FO front sight

Henning basepads and Grams mag springs and followers tuned will hold 20 rounds

All internals are polished and the trigger breaks nice and crisp at 2lbs.

I use a Blade-tech holster and mag carriers set up just like SS and Production so I can switch Divisions and not have to relearn mag and holster placement.

Using the 40SW mags I load my rounds to 1.135OAL and everything feeds well.

Good luck and by the way I think I know where a new Elite Limited is if you're interested. PM me if you want that information.

• 2 weeks later...

There's enough adjustment in the factory rear sight to allow 220gr bullets in .40S&W caliber at the lower end of USPSA major power velocity? And do they hold the sights at 6 o'clock or something?

I learn a lot here. Thanks.

OP- The small frame Tanfos and the most CZs are smaller in the grip I think, if that's an issue. Try to find one to hold in your hands and see.

I'm a SS guy that mostly uses 200gr SWC.

I picked up a Elite Limited gun this year to play with. Shooting 200gr RN through the limited gun, it has a softer recoil than my SS.

The biggest complaint with the Tanfo is the available aftermarket support. With 1911's you have a crazy amount of choices, with the Elite, it's either stock or one aftermarket choice. And likely what you need won't be in stock and you'll have to wait...

That said, it's a really nice gun to shoot and accurate. I liked it enough to up a stock II in 40 as a backup gun and may dabble in production with it.

• 2 weeks later...

So, my Elite Limited is coming on Wed and I am getting ready to break it in. I still need to order dies and a conversion kit for my reloader so I want to start with factory ammo. Any input for selections? I hope some decent factory ammo would work with the gun. I am thinking to get some PMC Bronze 165gr (PF=163). Pretty cheap.

I have read a bunch of threads here in a bag of info/expertise. I think I know what to get and what to do to the gun over this coming winter. I am super excited:)

Cheers

I am loading at longer than standard length. Surely there are folks that load to the factory length around that can help you in powder selection. WST and vvN320 seem to be very popular. 4.3 grs WST with a 200gr bear creek moly at 1.18 nets 170 pf out of my brand new limited, but would be way hot at 1.135.

Edited by Steffes

Thanks again Steffes.

I received my Elite Limted (40cal) tonight. My first impression when I picked it up at my FFL dealer was "this thing is HEAVY". I came home and found out it weighed at 46oz with an empty mag inserted. My 1911s weigh at 42oz. I wonder if I could draw this thing out of the holster when it is loaded o 21 rounds!

This thing is a beauty. The fit is great. The barrel locks tight. I have read some threads about machining marks, rough edges, shaving, etc. but my gun is in great shape. When I found a 'hair line slit' running from the mag release holes, I freaked out but figured they were there by design.

The grip panels have to go as they offer no traction and they are a bit too thick for my hands. The trigger pull is 3.5lbs and pretty crisp. I hosed it with a Slip2000 degreaser and soaked it in EWL oil. I thought about doing more thorough initial cleaning by taking the whole lower apart but the gut looked way overwhelming (hey I am from 1911s!) so I skipped that.

I guess she is ready for some break in:) I am very pleased that I jumped on the Tanfo wagon and bought this gun.

Cheers

Edited by jaep1911

Disassembly is very easy. Assembly OTOH is a bit more difficult. The only thing that requires additional attention is getting the mag release and trigger assembled in the gun. Henning has some very good videos on his site that show D & A. The 1911 sear/disco dance when reassembling the gun is about the same level of inconvenience as getting the trigger and trigger spring back in the Tanfo.

Disassembly is very easy. Assembly OTOH is a bit more difficult. The only thing that requires additional attention is getting the mag release and trigger assembled in the gun. Henning has some very good videos on his site that show D & A. The 1911 sear/disco dance when reassembling the gun is about the same level of inconvenience as getting the trigger and trigger spring back in the Tanfo.

Mag release wasn't bad, the sear wasn't even bad, but the trigger.... whew. But I am "blessed" with fat fumbling fingers and old eyes, so getting it to line up and get the pin in was a chore. :(

But....

The smoothing, polishing to slick up the trigger was worth the effort and grief. :) and I'm sure next time would be easier knowing what to do. Great guns.

For the trigger and sear you need to make a slave pin to hold the springs in place until you line everything up. Also the roll pin on the trigger is the FIRST item I change on any gun because its such a pain in the ass to get that back in. The Henning trigger pin is spendy, but man it will keep you off the ledge.. ;)

Thanks again Steffes.

I received my Elite Limted (40cal) tonight. My first impression when I picked it up at my FFL dealer was "this thing is HEAVY". I came home and found out it weighed at 46oz with an empty mag inserted. My 1911s weigh at 42oz. I wonder if I could draw this thing out of the holster when it is loaded o 21 rounds!

This thing is a beauty. The fit is great. The barrel locks tight. I have read some threads about machining marks, rough edges, shaving, etc. but my gun is in great shape. When I found a 'hair line slit' running from the mag release holes, I freaked out but figured they were there by design.

The grip panels have to go as they offer no traction and they are a bit too thick for my hands. The trigger pull is 3.5lbs and pretty crisp. I hosed it with a Slip2000 degreaser and soaked it in EWL oil. I thought about doing more thorough initial cleaning by taking the whole lower apart but the gut looked way overwhelming (hey I am from 1911s!) so I skipped that.

I guess she is ready for some break in:) I am very pleased that I jumped on the Tanfo wagon and bought this gun.

Cheers

Congrats dude. Dry fire and shoot the heck out of it.

Thanks doc88. I just came back from the first range session with it. Flawless 100 rounds. The recoil was nothing more than what I get from shooting 45acp through my 1911s. I had expected a more 'snappy' recoil from this gun. Totally in love with it. A friend of mine who recently bought a STI limited gun looked at it and asked how much I paid for it. I think he was in shock.

The factory trigger, 3.5lbs, and reset felt good. I now do not feel the need to do the trigger job in a hurry. The factory recoil spring was perhaps a bit too stiff so I would go down to 12lbs.

What a gun!