Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Side chargers

georgebarnes754

Mine is on the left side because I can not come off the rifle and re rack it and stay on the scope

Sorry, I don't follow. Did you mean to say that by being on the left side, you can rack it and stay on the scope?

It would seem to me you could do that just as easy on the right side, perhaps more so because you could keep your left hand out on the hand guard and not have to support the whole gun from the pistol grip.

It depends on how you are shooting. If you are shooting on a bipod or other rest system. Them you can take the none trigger hand off and rack with left hand

I guess it depends on how you shoot. On a bipod, my left hand is likely going to be helping to support the butt of my stock.

The one advantage I can see to a side charge is that you can work the bolt while keeping your head where it is. But a left side handle still seems awkward to me - in my head. Probably have to try one to see, and the Gibbz is reasonably priced.

Great review of the Gibbz by stealthy blagga

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=194810&view

The charger arm comes back about 2 inches, apparently bumps some stocks but clears my Magpul CTR easily.

Yes you can easily lock it back with one hand, the handle stops right above the bolt release.

Works great, no gas in the face, just ran my new build in 3 matches with no problems.

Sent from my reloading bench using Tapatalk

I have a left side forward CH on my shot gun as well as a NFA (same as Gibbz) on my rifle.

After shooting the side charger we make for our shotgun, I knew I wanted something similar for my rifle.

We also sell the NFA AR15 side chargers.

I thought I had a video of the NFA one seems I don't

I thought the same thing till I tried one and the left hand charge feels way better to me than a right side charge

Sounds like it might be worth a try for a top end I'm working on. Do you know if you can use a MagPul BAD lever or a Troy Ambi-Release with it?

-----------

D@mn auto-correct!!!

Edited by Graham Smith

I got a gibbz arms side charge upper that I am using

Not sure why, but I started looking into side charging uppers and am struck by the fact that some are on the left, some on the right, and a couple on both. Makes me wonder which would work better and why.

With the Gibbz, it looks like there is a cover that extends back when the charger is pulled. Is that correct? How far back? Looks like perhaps 6"?

Also, Gibbz claims you can pull it back and lock it with one hand. Can't see how that's possible. Anyone try it?

Mine was an ambi, but you can remove either side. I figured if something ever happened to one side, I would have the other as a backup!

Man.... This Gibbz upper may end up costing me a boatload of money....

Why? Going to build a whole new gun around it?

No... but I have a bad feeling if I rebuild my 3-gun rifle around it I'm gonna want one for my two "social" ARs.... and then my lightweight build, and then my 9mm AR....

:ph34r:

I have a Gibbz upper and really like it. The good thing about the Gibbz is that you can use any bolt carrier you want. I am running a Rubber City Armory lightweight carrier. The charging handle is non-reciprocating and has a detent that keeps it locked forward when not in use. It doesn't have a shell deflector, but it doesn't seem to matter.

I had an AUG years ago and that was when I decided that the left side charging handle was the way to go.

AUG, HK, and more - I don't think anyone 'prefers' the AR rearward charging handle as much as they're simply used to it.

If I had my way, all of my guns would be side-charge. I love the pic of the MKA up above - how many of you righties would prefer their shotgun's charging handle to remain on the right side, versus an option to have it on the left?

The only minor detriment on side chargers, IMO, is if the CH sticks out and doesn't fold..from the standpoint of potentially catching on something, or if you need to start a stage with the bolt locked open and CH back - don't want to have it slam forward on a staging table. The solution in most cases is simple - a folding CH..

My only comment there is that for years the handle on semi auto shotguns have protruded on the right side and I've never personally caught one on anything or read many complaints about that. Don't see why it would be different to have it protrude on the left side.

I have 3 side charging AR platforms with folding handles. One is ASA and the other 2 is JP. I like how small the ASA charging handle is, but my hand gets cut all the time. JP handles are smooth and large which can be good or bad, but once they are folded out of the way, they don't get in the way.

Learning not to put your charging handle against something that might cause a malfunction is no different than learning not to lay your ejection port against a wall that throws your brass back in the action. You may do it once or twice, but then it becomes a subconscious part of your stage plan. If you are still doing it a year later, maybe the gun isn't the problem :)