Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The 380 ACP is evil

Zoomy

I have always found reloading relaxing and therapeutic. After perfectly setting up my 650 I start cranking out reloads to a satisfying and calming click, clack and cluck of turning out round after round. I shoot .40 S&Win my limited and that is the majority of my reloading. But I also reload .223 and .243 finding equal satisfaction.

Well my wife decides she would like to shoot USPSA herself so I buy her a XDM 5.25 in 9 mm. Since I had some Atlanta Arms gift certificates I purchased 500 rounds of 9mm to get her started. I knew I would have to start reloading for her soon so I purchased some 124 gr JHP Montana Gold bullets and Titegroup. I also found some ounce fired 9mm brass.

Well today is 9mm reloading day. I start changing over my press with the exacting standards that give me satisfaction and contentment. Everything is perfect and I start the familiar rhythm.

But wait something is wrong. the bullet that I just placed on top of the flaired shell slipped into the case case way to easy. I stopped and checked the case only to find that it was an evil 380 case. Curses, now I'll have to check each case. Went through all 2500 that I purchased and found 105 pieces of 380.

Now not only am I angry with the person that sold me the brass but I realise that I will never find the bliss that I found reloading my other calibers. I can only conclude this 380 caliber must be the work of Satan himself. What use can it be other than to cause us misery and a sense of foreboding when it comes time to set up the press for 9mm.

I set about a plan to rid the world of this evil. I crushed each of those Satans minions in a vice and placed them in a hole on the property. I sprinkled them with holy water and placed a wooden cross on top before covering them with earth. At least these will not return into circulation to torment the souls of reloaders.

Edited by Zoomy

You'll be further ahead after you crush them to throw in with all the other throw away brass and fired primers and sell them to a local scrap dealer.

Yeah, that's what I really ended up doing. Made me feel better embellishing the story a bit.

Edited by Zoomy

I thought the same thing when I started reloading 9mm on a s1050. Soon after I decided to deprime/resize on a single stage before wet tumbling. I now catch those little b@st@rds before they can create chaos during my reloading session, probably add the sorting tray to my wish list.

Tossed them aside when I would come across one, was just going to trade them for a caliber I shoot...... but then Glock came out with the G42, snagged a .380 sizing die and case gauge, add in a spare 9mm die set and .223 shell plated that I already had for the 550b. Hoping to reload my first batch soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You'll be further ahead after you crush them to throw in with all the other throw away brass and fired primers and sell them to a local scrap dealer.

Or separate them and sell them on here.

An easy way to seperate 9mm is to take some 9mm plastic holders out of a factory ammo pack. Place the holder in the bottom of your pile of brass and shake. The 9mm and 380 will be the only thing that goes in the holder. Then you can easily pick out the .380, put them in a small flat rate box and send them to me free of charge of course for alleviating you of those demon cases ;)

When I was loading 9mm a lot, I used to occasionally crush a case trying to put a bullet into it. It's tough to sort out the .380 from the 9mm, particularly if you are older and your eyes are not quite as sharp. Now that I load .40, my bitch has become 9mm stuck in the .40 cases.

If we don't have something to bitch about, we'll find something.

Wait till someone slips in 9x18! :surprise:

My afternoon loading session just got interesting. A .38 S&W jammed up at the bottom of my case feed tube. Is there no end to the madness. I have the case separator pan set and I just ordered the aluminum insert to separate out the 380 cases.

A .38 S&W jammed up at the bottom of my case feed tube.

Sorry, but that's your fault for using a case feeder. REAL men feed the cases by hand and visually inspect each one as they go. In the snow. 5 miles. Uphill. Both ways.

Well I'll show you what a "REAL" man reloads with. No more Dillon 650. From now on I will do all my reloading on a single stage press and prime with a hand primer.? Edited by Zoomy