Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Perfect Shooting Range

I am considering/have an opportunity to build a shooting range from scratch. The lay out is approx 100 acres of rolling hills but also has a large area that is level and would work well for a lodge/retail store that could be expanded to include class rooms and a sales area.(an indoor range for the cooler months is already in the plan)

My question? If you had the best of all worlds, what would be on your wish list for a range. Specifics are appreciated. My entire idea is based around shooting sports. Please keep this in mind with the suggestions.

No idea is a bad one, and thinking outside the box is encouraged.

* A huge parking lot, close to the ranges, and completely dry (prepare the

land so it doesn't flood) and is topped with stone.

* Lots of sand in each bay so it's easy to find brass - and water drains thru

* At least one bay would have a dedicated moving apparatus for moving

targets (train tracks?)

* Target frames set up so I can just tape or staple my target up - I don't need

to bring my own target holders.

* Solid benches w seats, and sand bags on each bench for sighting in and

accuracy measurement. (Need overhead sun/rain protection & concrete

floors with brooms to make it easy to pick up brass).

* A range with timers - convenient way to have a random BEEP and then

time measurement so I can practice a stage with speed. (Why not leave

one bay set up permanently with the El Presidente and a timer?) And,

have videotaping facilities so I can view my "progress" shooting El P.

* A 600 yard range with steel targets at random distances set up

permanently (4 - 6 MOA targets).

* Lots of cover/shade - keep rain and sun off spectators/shooters

* One bay dedicated to falling steel that electronically resets - allow for

man - on - man steel shoots

* Dillon 1050's in 9mm, .38, .38 super, .40 & 45 that people can rent

and reload their ammo under YOUR supervision. (Lots of gun

powder available for sale:)))

* A few bays set up with a "clothesline" target set up - I can shoot and

send targets out without walking out and retrieve the shot targets without

walking out onto the range - don't have to wait for others to "go cold".

(Have the targets "covered" so I can shoot in the rain/snow).

* Leave 6 bays set up with different USPSA stages - charge shooters to

shoot those stages during any open hours - supervised by you - and

at the end of the week, the scores are all compiled and sent via e-mail

to each competitor (allows people who can't shoot on weekends to

compete with everyone else) Or, practice the same stages over a

2nd or 3rd time.

* Lots of port - o - potties scattered about.

* Stock all common supplies (tape, targets, earmuffs, eye protection,

std tools, etc)

* Offer minor (or major) gunsmithing services. And all types of classes.

* Floodlights for night shoots.

* A ransom rest with LOTS of common grip inserts.

* Lots of guns/accessories for customers to experiment with

(AR's & STI's with different comps & barrel lengths; suppressors,

full auto firearms; etc)

* A chrono station (permanent) as a convenience to your customers who don't have a chrono.

* A powerful telescope for use on long range bays. (Even better would be to

have a video under high magnification of distant targets so shooters can

see where their bullets are hitting, without walking 300 - 600 yards).

* Fireplaces by each bay for those cold shoots.

(Okay, everyone who has ever been to the Frostproof range knows that

I've borrowed some of their ideas).

Good luck with your new range - Almost wish I lived in MO. (Not really). :sight:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

Do you think in the "rental area" a Go Pro or drone's would be used?

Another thought I had was have small cabins available to rent for people that come into train or compete. The lodge area would have a small kitchen and/or during events or training times have it catered.

Have some of the bays go in the shape of a 7. A guy could design some killer stages.

Lights are a must.

A place to set range bags at each bay.

Plumbing

Some sort of out buildings to keep match supplies (a range I shoot at has cargo containers and they're great)

Nice walk ways between bays.

WIFI

I am in the beginning stages. There is a ton of approvals, that would be needed before anything broke ground. I want to be able to present a total plan when we start presenting for our approvals.

Nothing happens quickly. So at this point, there is no specific date for breaking ground, let alone opening.

That is why I am looking for the best of the best ideas. We have an opportunity to start with a clean slate, design a project from the very beginning. My goal is to have a state of the art, well designed shooting sports complex that will be the gold standard for years to come.

I realize it is a high bar, but when you have hundreds/thousands of people with the same dedicated hobby, we should be able to come up with some killer new innovations.

Can you clarify what you mean by a 360 house? Also I am confused on the 7 shape. I am trying to visualize how you would set up a course without breaking the 180 safety angle. I like the idea, just trying to visualize how it could be set up.

A 360 house means there is NO 180 :surprise:

You can actually fire in ANY direction, safely (used to train for house clearings).

That does sound like an awful lot of fun.

p.s. How about a video simulated shooting house - use electronic guns

with full video of bad guys. Even better if we can use our own gun but add

an electronic component that interacts with the video display/computer. :cheers:

They way this sounds you need one more thing .

How about Million Dollars to start with ?

I wish it could be done for a million $$$. Think that is a bit low... But luckily, we have a friendly banker/partner... (thus the need to have the TOTAL plan laid out etc.)

Like I said, we are looking to be the best of the best... In doing so, this should help us in the long term to secure National/World competitions, training on a National Level (worth traveling to to train) as well as local/state organizations that would like to train. a/k/a a shooting resort so to speak... Media coverage, TV, etc will also be solicited and encouraged. Lofty goals...

The ideas we have so far are great, but I think specifics on how things would/could be laid out is also important. ie: How many bays would be used, best size? Length for 3 gun that works best.etc...

Trap/skeet is not a large part of our plan right now, we have a HUGE park already in our area that handles National and State events. I do see an area for this, but not a main stay of the planned facility.

Edited by bajaholic

you need about a Million Dollars?

we are looking to secure National/World competitions

specifics on how things would/could be laid out is also important. ie: How many bays would be used, best size? Length for 3 gun that works best.etc...

Better have at least 18 pistol bays - 20 might be better. 25 - 40 meters long x 15 meters wide, each.

3-gun bays whatever you can provide, but a 100 meter, 300 meter and 5-600 meter range should be good. Of course, since

money is "no object" a range out to 750 meters would be GREAT!!! :cheers:

To attract Large Shoots, you will need to be able to sleep 400+ competitors within 20 miles. And be able

to feed them, and possibly amuse their spouses/children. :surprise:

Money in no object when dreaming,planning and looking for information. BUT it means EVERYTHING when you actually sit down and work out the logistics and go to actual plan. So getting the most bang for the buck in set up, being able to structure it to not operate at a loss, and be able to sleep at night is the bottom line. Unfortunately $1M is not allot of money any more...

At this point, we have no actual budget, that is why it is called the "dream stage". I know where we are on the realestate side, basic dirt work, building and paving costs. But until we have the list of what we actually want to incorporate into the project, "real numbers" are just a pie in the sky.

We only have approx 100 acres to work with, so our entire plan must fit with in those parameters. The property we are looking at is in a resort area, so the spouse/family entertainment is covered, Housing in our area is not a problem, this also goes with restaurants and bars. Luckily, Our community leaders that I have spoken with are also open to the idea when I presented it as an "idea". This is a BIG Plus.

Getting back on track: What are the things people are looking for that is a combination between all the best ranges. That is what I would like to incorporate into our plan.

Out sounds like this is lake of the Ozarks? I would guess you will get a lot of visitors from St Louis, etc. but you are far enough away you would not be their primary range. I would think you will need some sort of membership structure that will allow for day visitors from stl, or other vacation/weekend visitors an Option to use the range. Might be a possibility to offer an intro to practical pistol sort of experience providing guns and ammo and supervision to tourist types.

As far as ranges go,

Berms on three sides

Mix of sizes, and ranges

Plenty of safe areas,

Shade

Steel conveniently located

Target and barricade options conveniently located.

Some system in place to ensure the equipment does not get abused. We have had issues with this at our local range, and I don't know what the answer is. Might be as simple as having people sign in and out to ranges, and have them inspect for damage prior to use. Ie, they police the guy before them. Of course you need to do it all without being a Nazi about it :)

I think you also need to focus on just one specialty. USPSA, IDPA, gssf, sc, etc can all Co-exist, but make that your focus, and don't try to branch out to shotgun sports, or cowboy shooters, or long range rifle, etc. that can cause problems

I agree, the "shooting resort" is our focus. Within 2 hours of our facility, there is a number of very good ranges, Green Valley, Rolla, Jeff City, etc. I feel we need to co-exist with the other ranges, Not expefct to "take them over".

I think education and training for shooting sports will be the key to our success.

The store area, can hold seminars on guns, reloading, and numerous shooting related topics as well. (get in reps from the manufacturers to hold the seminars). Class rooms, then using the range to practice what they learn.

I know when I was/am learning to compete, I had a million questions and would liked to have had this type of venue to learn, thus the idea... It seems most every gun store or range I go into they are preaching just self defense, not sports.

I also think by promoting more of the sports side, getting good press would go a long way in showing the other side of shooting, not just the doom and gloom.

I would have a retail store, lounge area, indoor range, classroom(s), restrooms indoors in addition to the outdoor ranges. I would have the retail, lounge & restrooms on ground level and range, classrooms & restrooms in a basement or earth sheltered part underneath that could also be used as a tornado shelter. You could have police training, marksmanship training (civilian),security guard and CCW training, reloading classes, gunsmithing classes, etc. All of these could carry on in the event of bad weather.

Some of the cash cows for a range are: retail sales, weekly leagues (like bowling alleys) with a different type of competition each day, weekend matches, etc. The main point is to draw as many people as possible to spend as much time as possible there. The more time they spend, the more money they will spend. Make it the place everyone wants to go with an attractive venue and courteous, knowledgeable, professional staff. If possible, have a pro shop with some competition belts, holsters, guns, etc. for sale. Most of the competition gear is mail order, but you could make a lot of sales with impulse buying and people forgetting some important piece of gear for the match. Maybe an onsite gunsmith.

Edited by Toolguy

1000yd range with a few benches and prone positions, for the guys that like to stretch it out. With an access road down the side to the target area. Provision for steel gongs or 4' x 4' target backers.