Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm with Red Dot

NateTSU

I am currently loading 9mm with 125gr coated from S&S casting and 4.2 grains of Red Dot and Coal of 1.040. I am getting some leading of the last 3/4-1 inch before the muzzle of my factory Glock 34. Does anyone know what is causing this?

Edited by NateTSU

Red Dot is a little too fast for most small case lead loads. Due to the hardness of the bullet it is leading from melting of the base of the bullet instead of swelling out and sealing properly going down the bore.

You might try a lead bullet that is a little softer, or try a slower powder like Titegroup, 231, etc......I know...you have red dot and not the others.....You can lower the load but that may not help.....

DougC

Red Dot is a little too fast for most small case lead loads. Due to the hardness of the bullet it is leading from melting of the base of the bullet instead of swelling out and sealing properly going down the bore.

You might try a lead bullet that is a little softer, or try a slower powder like Titegroup, 231, etc......I know...you have red dot and not the others.....You can lower the load but that may not help.....

DougC

I will try dropping it to 4.0gr and test. And you are right I have been loading red dot out of necessity,it and power pistol been all I have been able to find. Would Power Pistol or Unique be a better option than Red Dot? I have about a pound of all 3 powders left. Edited by NateTSU

I've had pretty good success with Unique in 9mm.

The only bullets I've had issues with are the 125gr SNS Casting Coated bullets of all things. I had the same issue you experience above. I have not tried any of the other brands of Hi-Tek coated bullets.

It has worked good with FMJ, Plated, Cast and Powder Coated Cast (currently what I'm using) for me.

With the 130ish grain powder coated bullets going just north of 1k fps I can run a couple of patches and have a clean bore after 250 rounds. With the SNS bullets I was busting out the copper brush and going to town to get it cleaned up (I ensured I wasn't swaging them down or scraping coating off when seating).

While I have not personally shot lead or coated lead in a stock glock barrel, I did look into it. There is a school of thought that says a slightly more oversize bullet may better conform to the polyganal rifling and reduce leading. You might try some sized at .357 or .358.

I'm using Promo ("same as red dot") in .380 without any problems (using Xtreme plated and Bayou coated).

Which profile bullet are you using? SNS makes a few different 125s.

When I first started loading Precision coated bullets for my .45 Glocks, I found that if any of the bearing surface was above the case mouth, the Glocks would cut through it in the process of chambering (or maybe unchambering) a round. So, I load them short enough to avoid that.

I am shooting the 125gr flat point coated. I have them loaded pretty short at 1.040 not much bearing surface that it is out of the case, I will chamber a few and take a look and see if the coating is being scraped off. I was starting to wonder if I have them seated too deep and causing a pressure spike?

That 125gr FP looks like a bullet used for both .38spl and 9mm (just use a different sizing die) and has a crimp groove I'd seat to if I were using them for .38spl. For 9mm, I'd suggest seating them deeper to protect the bearing surface above the crimp groove.

Also, I don't see that it's been mentioned yet, so I'll suggest you disassemble one of your loaded rounds and make sure you're not damaging the coating during seating by overdoing the crimp. With coated bullets, in 9mm, I crimp to .379-.380. It's too easy to break through the coating with an overly tight crimp.

In my M&P Pro 9mm with a Bayou 125g bullet at 1.130 3.8g of Red Dot makes a 130 Avg power factor.

Same gun, 125g Blue Bullet, 3.8g of Red Dot at 1.135 makes an Avg PF of 132.

I'd back it down a notch or two and see how things go.

Will pulling the bullet damage the coating? How do you measure the crimp? Just calipers on the case mouth of a loaded round?

I am going to load up a test batch at 3.8 and see how those turn out. From the sounds of it so far I have too hot of a charge and possibly am over crimping.

Thanks for the tips everybody.

Edited by NateTSU