Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stick powders powder measures and a Dillon 650

Wanting to start loading for my M1 30-06 on a Dillon 650. Mainly be using 4064 and 4895 for the Garand and 4350 for my bolt guns cambered in 30-06.

The Dillon PM is great for ball, stick powders, well it leaves much to be desired. Looking for suggestions on a powder measure that can handle 4064 and 4350 and be mounted on a progressive press. I don't shoot in matches or competition and have no desire to weigh each charge so am not interested in a RCBS charge master.

I've been thinking about getting a Redding 3BR or the BR30. How well do they throw 4064, can the BR30 handle the 30-06 charge weights? How about a Harrell?
I do understand if I mounted a Redding 3BR to the Dillon the powder measure will have to operated manually which is not a problem, just looking for something that can mount to a press and throw stick powers.

Thanks...Eric

I tried an experiment yesterday. I filled the stock Dillon powder measure of my XL 650 with Varget, ran ten drops and threw them back into the measure then did 20 drops as follows:

range of 22.5 - 22.8

22.8 - 2 drop

22.7 - 11 drops

22.6 - 6 drops

22.5 - 1 drop

0.076 - standard deviation

0.30 - extreme spread

22.67 - average

I'd say those results are pretty acceptable for one of the toughest stick powders from most accounts. I tried Reloader 15 which is also a stick powder but not as bad as Varget:

range of 21.7 - 21.9

21.9 - 1 drop

21.8 - 10 drops

21.7 - 9 drops

0.060 - standard deviation

0.20 - extreme spread

21.76 - average

I then went ahead and pulled apart the powder measure. My funnel really was pretty nice, no casting flash or bad edges. I went ahead and took some 400 grit abrasive and went over the funnel and finished with some scotchbrite (I didn't polish, only cleaned it up/smoothed it up some). I also did the drop funnel a bit but it is so small diameter and I didn't have an appropriate reamer, I just sanded it some with the 400 abrasive. I then did the above again and the the results of both the Varget and Reloader 15 improved some but pretty negligible.

With I-4895, I expect a variation of up to +/- .3 grain when loading 308 or 30-06. Most will drop within +/- .2 grain. For service rifle out to 600 yards, this is a more accurate powder charge than LC Match powder charges ever were. I once disassembled and weighed 20 rounds of 7.62 Nato LC Match 72. In twenty rounds, the powder charge varied +/- .7 grains. This ammo was sub-MOA out of my NM M1A, circa 1979.

With I-4895, I expect a variation of up to +/- .3 grain when loading 308 or 30-06. Most will drop within +/- .2 grain. For service rifle out to 600 yards, this is a more accurate powder charge than LC Match powder charges ever were. I once disassembled and weighed 20 rounds of 7.62 Nato LC Match 72. In twenty rounds, the powder charge varied +/- .7 grains. This ammo was sub-MOA out of my NM M1A, circa 1979.

Would that be pretty much similar results with .308? Does case neck diameter have a lot to do with it (like smaller, e.g. .223)?

The results are identical for .308 as well. The separate problem you run into with smaller calibers, such as .223, is that the extruded powders logjam trying to enter the inside of the funnel. This can result in a partial charge in one case, then when the next powder charge dislodges the charge in the funnel, the next one overflows the case.

I run H-4895 for .223 in my 550. I hold the lever a few seconds on the powder throw. Not sure if the H-4895 meters better than the IMR stuff. I've heard that it is supposed to. My loads are pretty right on within +/- .1-.2gr. I expect a higher deviation than in a ball powder. One piece of stick powder can change the weight, whereas one ball of ball powder has little effect. Keep your powder setup clean and dry. Any case lube that gets in can really sway your results. A sticky powder bar can do the same.