Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

taurs pt 1911

onebadeye

I went down this road a few years ago. Taurus 1911 in 9mm stainless, for steel challenge.

Had a lot of jamming issues. The gun would run fine for a 50 round range session, but when I tried to run a Steel Challenge match I was getting all sorts of erratic extraction and stovepipe jams.

Has to send it back to Taurus twice.

Many people told me I needed to get it worked-over by a Gunsmith, but I don't believe in spending my own money to fix a manufacturer's problem for them. After two trips to Taurus they replace the slide. I sold the gun after that.

It was a lesson for me: don't buy cheap and then struggle to make it work. Buy right the first time.

Other people at my club run Taurus without issues, I can only give my experience.

Edited by SlowShooter

I own and have used in IDPA & USPSA a 9mm 1911 (custom build), 40S&W 1911 (Kimber with 'smith work), and 45ACP 1911 (Taurus, basically stock) at various times over the years. Not a lot by some standards but I've shot ~15k rounds trough a 1911 of some kind. All are fun but a 9mm 1911 was the biggest challenge. My 9mm 1911 had some early problems due to an out of spec barrel. Once that's was fixed the only issues have been mag related. If you are a 1911 kind of guy and can deal with the challenges of getting a 1911 to run (if needed) it might be worth it. There are other 9mm 1911 on the market at around the same or similar price point but I think you may have the same risks and challenges there. If you expect a stock bargain 9mm 1911 to run out of the box like a Glock, you could be disappointed and it might not be for you.

Brand bashing aside, 9mm 1911's are a challenge no matter what and I can't recommend a lower cost 1911 as your first 1911 unless you are up for a possible challenge.

I have the Taurus PT 1911 in both 45 and 9MM. The 45 had a wrong barrel link from the factory that they replaced and turned around in 3 weeks and the Taurus mags weren't up to the task when speed reloading with a round in the mag - the follower liked to self eject. Went to Wilson 47D's with extended base and have had zero issues for about 5K rounds in both competition and range.

As for the 9MM I sold off the OEM mags and went straight to 10 round Tripp Cobra's and have some 4K or so thru it with no problems due to the gun. My choice of bullet and COAL have needed the most attention but I hear that's true of most guns. Mechanical things need fussing over to get them to do what YOU want them to do.

I say buy'm and CHOOT'EM.

Not a taurus, but I went the other cheap route with a rock island 9mm. I've shot a couple thousand rounds through and the only issue I ha was from lack of cleaning (about 700 rounds of lead without being cleaned). A little oil and a bore snake and it's run like a top since. I use the metal form 9 and 10 rounders. I don't think I would be happier with a more expensive gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheap 1911 9mm is a really bad idea.

9mm 1911s are the hardest to get to run due to feeding issues. Expect issues getting 100% function even on a $1500 9mm 1911.

That being said, since you're going to be tweaking parts anyways, start at "decent frame" with a ramped barrel.

Something like the Trojan, or even a Spartan. I bought a kimber, and ended up replacing stuff I would have replaced on a Trojan. So for the 400-500 price difference all I got was better grip stippling (note: I'm glad $200 of that price difference went to USA Shooting, however).

• 1 month later...