Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to shoot fast swingers properly?

jayjay1

• 2 weeks later...

One year, Area 2-Desert Classic had a swinger where you only saw the movement, i.e., on dead spots were visible. I was told by a GM that put the gun in about the middle of the exposed space and when you saw the swinger enter the visible shooting area to pull the trigger.

I know folks will shoot one shot at a very fast swinger, then transition to an open target, then back to the swinger.

Like almost everyone has said, you need to have a practice session on just the swinger to get a real sense of how much time you really have to shoot it.

In most cases a .3 split is plenty of time for two shots. To me, I need to prep the trigger and release the shot before it stops then the second shot is while it leaves its resting place. I guess my message is to fire the first shot sooner rather than later.

Jay, here is a link to a really useful tool to practice dryfire with using your computer. You can vary the speed and move the barricade around so that the swinger crosses the top rather than comes out on the sides. Live fire is still a bit different but this really helps you practice. Swingers that require you engage them during their arc are a tougher shot than ones where you can see their resting points.

Edited to add that "tracking" means putting the dot on the target, usually at the leading edge of the A/C line and keeping it there as you follow the target and fire your shots.

http://www.predatortactical.com/uploads/media/Flashfiles/swinger_varible_rate_070704.swf

Edited by Neomet