Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moon clip gauge

Greg in VA

image_18192.jpg

Primitive yes, but I've used one of these ^^^^^ midieval devices to torture a few bent clips back into shape.

The revolver supply loaded moon clip checker has worked pretty well for me so far as a final check on loaded moon clips.

I have one of those, but I don't believe that is what Greg and I are asking about. Lee made these gauges, like square of aluminum or steel that we bolted together like a layer cake, that had slots. One slot was for 0.40 and the other for 0.25. Drop your moon clip in and if it went through it was good. It if hung up, it was bent.

image_18192.jpg

Primitive yes, but I've used one of these ^^^^^ midieval devices to torture a few bent clips back into shape.

The revolver supply loaded moon clip checker has worked pretty well for me so far as a final check on loaded moon clips.

Those moon clip checkers are nice in that they will tell you that the loaded moon clip will go in the cylinder, but will they if a clip is bent all the time? Have you ever had a loaded moon clip that go in the checker, but not work in the gun (like keep the cylinder from closing or rotating)? That may be a good way to go.

Thanks,

Steve

I haven't yet, but I have only been playing with wheelguns in USPSA for a short time.

As an expirment I could try to bend one so that it goes into the loaded moonclip checker (but is obviously bent) and then try it in the gun.

I have one of those, but I don't believe that is what Greg and I are asking about. Lee made these gauges, like square of aluminum or steel that we bolted together like a layer cake, that had slots. One slot was for 0.40 and the other for 0.25. Drop your moon clip in and if it went through it was good. It if hung up, it was bent.

That's the one I'm looking for

How do you like it? Does it work as well as it claims for them stomped on clips ?

How do you like it? Does it work as well as it claims for them stomped on clips ?

It works very well and worth the money.

Place a suspect moonclip on the flat and check, if you see that it's bent, then use the tool to straighten it.

I remember the guage that is in question. It was about a year ago that it was shown here.

Found the closed thread.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=161506&hl=

Off topic but.....

This is the review under the 627:

I am competing in the PA Steel League. Using the DMCT-357-X8-1 tool sometimes causes the moon clip to bend. Your cylinder check was very expedient in checking the moon clip in the cylinder. Most of the league revolver shooters use the BMT Mooner/Demooner tool. This tool secures the eight round moon clip, the casings, loads and unloads the rounds faster than the DMCT tool.

-----------------------------------

GM: I would love to host a speed challenge. DMCT vs BMT. But from rounds in box to loaded moon clips...say 30 of them

Who wins this race?

:)

I can only speak for a 625, I threw away moonclips left and right... if the case didn't freely come of the moonclip = garbage

I had hundreds of moonclips, that is how I used to store 45acp loaded ammo.

I am actually quite interested in a new 929, that looks like fun.