Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Micrometer Powder Bar Kit for Dillon Presses

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my Kit and powder baffle from Uniquetek yesterday. Took a spare bar and followed the instructions to rough up the hole I'm the bar with a round file and it has another 10hrs to cure. Put it in a vice vertically and polished the powder bar insert as well. Will report back when I install it and use it.

Edited by PKT1106

I got my Kit and powder baffle from Uniquetek yesterday. Took a spare bar and followed the instructions to rough up the hole I'm the bar with a round file and it has another 10hrs to cure. Put itinerant a vice vertically and polished the powder bar insert as well. Will report back when I install it and use it.

I really like mine and I actually under utilize it as I don't adjust very often. My old Dillon unit would wander a little but this one stay right were you set it and with the marks I can tell with a glance that it is staying put.

Ok, I took it out of the vice and installed it. Does anyone else have a tight fit of the micrometer shaft and the post that holds the original adjustment bolt?

I got the powder bar in and adjusted the micrometer for what I wanted to load and went to it. Just from watching with my eyes, the charges look a lot more consistent from case to case. These are also with the Uniquetek powder baffle installed as well. I loaded up 100 and put aside 20 to chronograph check to see if it had a great affect on ES and SD. Will report back results when I can get to the range.

PKT I just took the post out of mine since mine would bind a little.

BB I put the baffle in my new style hopper and it does not seem to make a difference but I left it in anyway

The post really no longer serves a purpose on the machines with a fail-safe rod, on a stock set-up, it holds together the adjustment mechanism (and provides an attachment point for the springs on the older models). If you don't use return springs and have the micrometer set-up, the post doesn't do anything.

The micrometer really doesn't provide for any more accuracy, the bar itself where the powder is measured is unchanged. What it does provide is repeatability with a numeric measuring method and finer threads allowing easier fine tuning.

What it does provide is repeatability with a numeric measuring method and finer threads allowing easier fine tuning.

Which is what I was looking for. Right now, I have 4.9gr of WST set at 1.45 on the micrometer. When I change to CFE or another powder, I want to be able to go right to a setting, throw a few and let it settle out and it be right on where I need it.

I also polished the powder bar insert to a near-mirror shine with up to 2000 grit sand paper. I will see how it works out.

Edited by PKT1106

What it does provide is repeatability with a numeric measuring method and finer threads allowing easier fine tuning.

Which is what I was looking for. Right now, I have 4.9gr of WST set at 1.45 on the micrometer. When I change to CFE or another powder, I want to be able to go right to a setting, throw a few and let it settle out and it be right on where I need it.

Yep, works perfectly for this, I have a ton of different powders I use and experiment with, it is very nice to have a list of all of respective settings for quick changeover.

some of the "so called upgrades" are just a gimmick... but the micro power bar kit works for me... I load 2 different loads in 9mm major & minor... I took pics of each setting on the micro and I can quickly return to either setting accurately...

some of the "so called upgrades" are just a gimmick... but the micro power bar kit works for me... I load 2 different loads in 9mm major & minor... I took pics of each setting on the micro and I can quickly return to either setting accurately...

Good to hear. I also have a couple different 9mm loads. And great idea of snapping the pic.

Firerarms, Parts and Accessories

www.suncoastarmory.com

one question for guys with the baffle. I noticed older dillon powder measures had none, but newer ones have a plastic baffle. On the newer powder measures with the plastic baffle is it still worth getting the uniquetek one?

I was doing the double-baffle thing for a while, then took the UniqueTek one out. I don't think it makes a difference unless you remove the plastic one.

Is it better to get the Arredondo powder slide with the kit?

No. I ordered one of these thinking that it would be better and found it to bind in the housing... it was too tight... Called them and was told to operate the lever continuously to loosen it up or sand on the bottom... Didn't want to do that... back to the old screw...