Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Standard Kydex vs Race Holster for Limited

KOBGT

HOLSTER for LIMITED Division question:

Who out there uses a standard Bladetech/Production type holster vs a CR Speed, DAA, etc type race holster?

I have tried both and I just feel more secure with the standard holster, but I think I could take a little off my draw speed with a race type holster. You read stories about people dropping their guns, etc out of a race holster... I am new to limited so I guess I'm just hanging on to my production habits.

Well, I'm a nobody and have used both a CR Speed and Bladetech and ended up staying with the Bladetech because I could "go after" the gun more aggressively. I've never felt like I was at a disadvantage on my draws. I've done years of dry-fire and live-fire practice on the timer and at best, when things were perfect, I might shave off a tenth of a second using a "race holster". However, when things were less than perfect....like most of the time in a match, having the simplicity of an open top, traditional holster just allowed me to focus on what really matters...the shooting.

Having said all that, blah blah blah, go check out videos of Taran Butler and Nils Jonasson. Watch Taran's draw from a Bladtech DOH and Nils' draw from a standard Bladetech without the DOH attachment...doesn't seem to hurt them any. And, unlike me, they're good...

Cheers623

DVC

I use bladetech's version of a race holster. That being said, I've timed myself quicker with an als retention safari land holster. I think the reason is that I slow down to make sure I get a good group on the race holster where as on the standard type I just grip and rip

Body build has a lot to do with how much faster you will be with a race holster. I am all legs with a short torso and long arms. Racemaster is MUCH faster for me. I don't have to lift the gun as high to clear the holster. Barrel length comes into play also. 6" gun will generally be faster from a race type.

6" 2011 here. Started out with a Center of Mass kydex holster that has a drop and offset. After about a year I switched to a skeletonized race holster after trying out a friend's Manny Bragg Futuristic holster. I dropped on average .2 secs off my draw within the first two months of switching. Granted, in a 5 stage match that only amounts to 5-ish draws... Shadyscott brings up a good point, you're only having to lift the holster about an inch out of the holster before you can bring it up.

I've been using the Manny holster for the last 2 years and have not had any issues with it falling out, getting bumped etc... then again I also try not to be a bull in the china shop when moving around on the range.

For 3-gun I am sticking with kydex. I trust the Manny holster but there's just way too much going on in 3gun for those kinds of holsters IMO.

In a nutshell what these guys have said -- you're trading security for a smidgeon of pure draw speed.....

If this was a steel challenge question -- without a doubt you should be drawing from a race holster considering how many starts there are.....

For USPSA it's a little less clear cut. Duane Thomas did a test a few years ago where he lost on average one tenth of a second when using Kydex compared to a race holster. Now some folks are suggesting that they can draw faster from kydex because they feel free to go after the gun more aggressively without worrying about knocking it out of the holster....

Put me in the Kydex camp for USPSA.....

Then again what do I know? I'm a production shooter who very occasionally dabbles in Limited Division.....

I don't think there is any difference in speed. I'm in the same camp with those saying you can go after it a little harder with the kydex.

The reason I use a race holster is purely based on adjustability. With a ball joint and the ability to raise and lower the holster, it's exactly how I want it.

I don't think there is much If any difference in speed. The reason I run a race holster though is consistency. I am more consistent in getting a good grip on the gun and the time distance between my high and low draws are closer with the race holster.

I use a Racemaster for Steel Challenge, but it's also the only holster I currently have that will fit my weirdly shaped N-frame. Adjusted so it's exactly where I want it for Steel Challenge, it's a pain in the butt for USPSA, especially factoring in the "walking around all day" part. For USPSA specifically, I'd rather have good Kydex.