Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to change a barrel

66L

I'm looking for a somewhat detailed description of how to swap out a S&W barrel. I acquired a 5" 625 .45 ACP barrel that I would like to put on a 625JM (625-8), in exchange for the 4" factory barrel.

What special tools would I need and are there any tricks you all recommend? Is it basically as simple as unscrewing the 4" and screwing back on the 5"? I am fairly mechanical and have a good working knowledge of S&W revolvers so it's not something I'm afraid of trying, but if it's something I'm likely to screw up I'll send it to my revolver smith.

I have feeler gauges to check the barrel/cylinder gap, but I don't know what it ideally should be? My smallest gauge is .006 and it fits as I slide it in the left side, but too tight for the right side. So something obviously isn't quite square in its current form, but it doesn't seem to affect anything.

Is there anything you do to prep the gun/barrel before you take off the old, or put on the new?

I may not even know enough to be asking the right questions so feel free to chime in with any info.

Thank you!

If you have to ask, don't do it!

You need a

frame wrench (mine is MGW @ $148)

Barrel set back fixture ($155)

plus the knowledge. This isn't a slight against you, just a fact of life.

If you want to do this and want to get the knowledge, then good luck, but otherwise go to a 'smith who knows his way around a revolver.

If you just want to change one barrel then you would be much better off taking it somewhere and having it done. I learned a lot watching Warren (Toolguy) work on revolvers. You can do it your self but you need to get the right tools and instruction so you don't cause yourself grief. If you want to learn to work on revolvers then It's a good opportunity to learn, buy some books and tools.

As much as I want to learn, it doesn't sound like it's worth it. I'll take it to my gunsmith to have done properly ...

And hopefully your "gunsmith" has the right stuff. When it comes to revolvers I wouldn't just assume he does...

As much as I want to learn, it doesn't sound like it's worth it. I'll take it to my gunsmith to have done properly ...

And hopefully your "gunsmith" has the right stuff. When it comes to revolvers I wouldn't just assume he does...

Jerry Keefer is who I turn to for all things revolver, he's setup to do anything you can think of to a round gun. He's been building them longer than I've been alive and probably forgotten more than I'll ever know. I would recommend his work without hesitation.

For anyone like myself wondering, the process was straight forward. What I call a frame wrench like the linked one was used to hold the frame while the barrel was clamped in a vise. Once the barrel was broken loose it unscrewed by hand. The tricky part was trial and error to shorten the throat enough to close on the cylinder. It took a few trips back to the surface grinder, removing very little at a time. This step could be done by hand, but the surface grinder keeps everything square and in my mind separates the professional gunsmith/machinist from...someone like myself. If too much material is ground off or it gets too far out of square you're looking at an expensive paperweight. Once the length is correct it was a simple matter of tightening the barrel into the frame and getting it centered.

I'm sure Jerry was doing some minuscule things that I didn't even pick up on, which also would have led to disaster on my part. It was the right call to take it to a pro, but if you have the right equipment I should think it would be an easy enough affair.

All things considered, this is a sample of one. I have no doubt that there are a plethora of issues that could crop up doing a job like this.