Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

problems rotating between die stations

I finally have my rll550 working a bit better. I am wondering how deliberate one must be when rotating the shellplate between stations so each die does their job properly with everything aligned properly. If i rotate deliberately and with care pull the handle down and make sure the brass does not get crushed(9mm), everything works well. I can load 10 rounds in three minutes being careful. As a beginner i see folks loading thousands of rounds, and i wonder if my press was adjusted with more precision, could one rotate between stations much faster? or is 10 rounds in three minutes a typical beginner speed? If i am not careful, the brass gets crushed either in the decapin state or the powder die

help as always is appreciated

Slow and steady wins the race. You want to index and have the shell plate aligned when it stops. If having problems in station one, the little bent paperclip looking piece may need a small adjustment. Hitting the powder funnel sounds like you are not stopping the shell plate at the right point. How tight is your shell plate? Can you feel the detent ball snap into place from one position to the next?

Speed comes from working in a smooth rhythm, having primer tubes preloaded and components laid out ergonomically to save wasted motion.

In time loading 400 an hour will be easy. Faster speeds are certainly possible.

I finally have my rll550 working a bit better. I am wondering how deliberate one must be when rotating the shellplate between stations so each die does their job properly with everything aligned properly. If i rotate deliberately and with care pull the handle down and make sure the brass does not get crushed(9mm), everything works well. I can load 10 rounds in three minutes being careful. As a beginner i see folks loading thousands of rounds, and i wonder if my press was adjusted with more precision, could one rotate between stations much faster? or is 10 rounds in three minutes a typical beginner speed? If i am not careful, the brass gets crushed either in the decapin state or the powder die

help as always is appreciated

Something is terribly wrong with your setup. I think you need to disassemble then reassemble the press, following the instructions very closely. Reloading 10 rounds on a Dillon 550 should take about 1.5 minutes. The brass is being crushed because you're not indexing the shell plate properly. My guess is that it's too loose. You should feel the shell plate 'snap' into position each time you move it. The ball under it rides up into the dimple in the bottom of the plate. Seriously, disassemble the die head and shell plate and start again paying very close attention to detail during the setup.

Go to YouTube and search "Setting up Dillon 550"

Edited by pmt

Beginners style.

One thing is sure , it is too tight or too loose. If you can wiggle the plate it is too loose.

I bought some bearings, and was able to go really tight, but while it took all the slop out, I could not feel the index. I ended up backing it out a half turn from tight. Try that.

You should tighten it up, and then back off till you fel the plate indexing..Should work.

Remember if you do not tighten the allen screw on the side, everytime you index the plate, if you go counter clockwise, the main screw will back out. tighten the lock screw each time you back out the main screw, till you find the happy place, then tighten it well.

Edited by bwxmas

Doctor,

Given that your location is Scottsdale, AZ and Dillon Precision is located in Scottsdale, perhaps you could either (1) have one of their techs make a house call or (2) you take your press to them and have them go over the setup with you. There's no way you should be having all of the problems you're having with your Dillon press. Good luck getting it setup right. You should be very happy with it once you have it up and running.

I just got a new 550 and I have noticed that it does not index as precisely as the older press does. I don't know if that is because it is new or some other reason. I have adjusted the shell plate several times, but I still find that some of the time station 2 does not line up exactly. It is easy to feel as the ram goes up and I just need to move the brass a little and it works fine. I have only done about 300 rounds so far.

As has been stated above, you should feel a solid click after rotating the shell plate to the next station. This should have you fairly well aligned to pull the handle with crushing anything. If not the shell plate is probably not tight enough against the platform or the spring under the detent ball needs a little help. I have took the ball bearing out of the platform and stretched the spring under it a little and replaced the ball. This will put a little more tension against the shell plate for a more positive stop between stations. You might try this and also make sure BOTH of your Allen head screws are tight in the shell platform under the shell plate and the one in the side of the ram after you have adjust the shell plate bolt to where the shell plate will just turn freely with no further up and down movement. Keep at it and it won't be long before you will be an old pro on your 550.

Edited by bowenbuilt

This is something else I found a year or so that caused the shell plate to bind or drag when rotating.

I found that where the shell plate bolt seats in the index sprocket, the spocket seat was not perfectly flat where the underside of the shell plate bolt rides.. I took some fine valve lapping compound and coated the sprocket and reinstalled everything loosely. After about 4 minutes of rotating the shellplate and tighting the bolt the tight spot disappeared. Cleaned everything up, relubed and its good to go. No more dragging or plate wobble, Smooth as glass.