Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Really hard to rack slide on 2011

Runnin2live

First off I have got a load and reliable operation on my 2011, 38 super.

When I go to rack the slide for the first time with the hammer forward, it takes a lot of effort to rack it and cock the hammer. Once the hammer is cocked, the #14 spring functions pretty easy. I have felt other open guns and they seem to rack with much less effort. Looking at the hammer compared to mine, not much different

For info sake, I am shooting 38 super to approx 172 pf pretty flat shooting and reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of gun exactly. Most everybody I know runs an 8pound spring in their Open guns either 38 or 9major. I have run a 7 in mine. 14# is a pretty stout spring. Also, if it is much harder to rack with the hammer down it probably has a brute of a main spring in it too. Cock the hammer and then rack it if it makes it easier.

I can rack mine with two fingers.

Since it's hard with the hammer down, it would seem to relate to the mainspring and the firing pin stop.

How much radius is on the firing pin stop? The more radius, the easier it should be to push the hammer back.

A lighter mainspring will make it easier to cock the hammer, but it reduces the hammer blow to the primer.

Guy

What kind of gun exactly. Most everybody I know runs an 8pound spring in their Open guns either 38 or 9major. I have run a 7 in mine. 14# is a pretty stout spring. Also, if it is much harder to rack with the hammer down it probably has a brute of a main spring in it too. Cock the hammer and then rack it if it makes it easier.

I can rack mine with two fingers.

When I bought my open gun used. This is what I was told to do from the seller.

I agree with it being centered around the mainspring. I plan on playing with the springs now that it is set up and reliable. That way I have a place to take it back to when it screws up.

The stop has a good polished radius on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off I have got a load and reliable operation on my 2011, 38 super.

When I go to rack the slide for the first time with the hammer forward, it takes a lot of effort to rack it and cock the hammer. Once the hammer is cocked, the #14 spring functions pretty easy.

Then I am betting it's the hammer spring. I had a Browning HI power that was similar. I think they used FORD axle springs. There are usually a wide selection of lighter springs available, obviously they can cause light strikes if you go too light. Edited by bountyhunter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...