Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone running .40 LSWC bullets in their 1911 / 2011?

igolfat8

Just curious if anyone is running .40 S&W LSWC bullets in their 1911 or 2011 pistols? If so, are you having any feeding issues since the round is typically so short (1.080" - 1.100" COAL)? I thought I had read a while back where the .40 cartridge is the least desirable round in the 1911 / 2011 platform.

I shoot bowling pins with a Glock 35 but am considering adding a 1911/2011 platform as well. I have a Range Officer in 45 but prefer the .40 for some odd reason? Most of the guys are running 9s and a few .45s but they seem to have more mechanical issues?

Perhaps I am not understanding the question here but the OAL you are quoting is way, way to short for an 2011 style pistol. This is due to the magazine size, which was originally designed for a 45acp. My STI Edge in 40SW requires The OAL to be in the range of 1.19-1.20 OAL to feed properly.

I think the factory ammo that I have bought measures out to around 1.12-1.14 OAL and will not feed reliably in my 2011.

Edited by JMike

I shoot a 145 grain Lee cast bullet and the bullet is so short it will only load to a max OAL of 1.100". Sounds like it may not be the best choice for a 2011 pistol? I just like the accuracy and extremely low coefficient of friction of SWC bullets but they can be finicky to feed properly.

Yeah, the polymer guns like shorter OALs (around spec, which is 1.135). My STI loves longer OAL...I'm loading 200 grain Bayous or Blue Bullets to 1.185 and it cycles like butter. When I tried to shoot some of my XDm ammo at 1.13, it was very "clunky". Conversely, the 1.18 OAL rounds won't even fit in my XDm mags.

If you like the 2011 platform and can't load those Lee bullets any longer, you will probably want to consider a longer bullet. And even then, if it's a standard conical wad-cutter profile, it may still give you feed problems. The round nose bullets are sweet.

Edited by kcobean

I loaded some 175 Bayous to try in my SV. I loaded them short (they are minor for 3 gun). I do not remember the length off of the top of my head. But, it was to where the same amount of the bullet was visible past the case as my 200 SWC loads in my 45. The load was "short" by the typical lengths we load 40 to in the 2011 platform.

They were extremely accurate. But, I had a few failures (2 or 3) to feed in my test batch of 100. I decided to go with a 180 Bayou loaded to 1.2". Those have fed fine and are just as accurate.

I finished loading the rest of the 175 grainers that I had to use for practice. I think I had one more failure in the last 400.

First, 145 gr bullet in .40 is really light and small. Most people use 180 or 160. And when using LSWC, the proper oal is where the front shoulder of the bullet is about 1/8" above the case mouth. This prevents the case mouth from hanging up on the feed ramp. If you can't achieve this with the 145 gr heads, go to a heavier bullet.

Nothing but in a Les Baer with Wilson barrel and a Springfield/Remington custom with Les Baer barrel, both .45ACP. 207gr. LSWC home cast.

I also run home cast 180gr LRN in my .40 2011 custom with a Kart barrel. Ideal #40043. I run them at an OAL of 1.180. No problems so far.

Edited by lawboy