Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dragonfly?

Gunmetal

Can someone put into perspective just what you get for the money with a glock Dragonfly. I have an STI Edge and a Ranger both in chrome and am having trouble justifying my thoughts on a Dragonfly. Are they that good of a gun or would it be like buying a Yugo and a Cadillac. I find myself drawn to the looks of the Glock, they look really cool. I have a 34, 19 and a 26 now so I know a little bit about the Glocks.

Give me your two cents on these guns!

Seems like a lot of money to make a gun "look good". I know they do more than just add a slide on the Zev complete guns. I wish I could shoot one, if I read between the lines on what you say it really doesn't do all that much for performance. My Edge will put bullets in one raged hole. My 34 shoots pretty nice but not as well as my Edge or the Ranger.

Don't think I'm bad mouthing the Glock just looking for thoughts!

Lots of shooters, heck lots of people, do things just for looks.

Only the end user can fully state that removing weight from a Glock slide (the ZEV Dragon cut) makes the gun perform better.

I have both and I am back to running my standard weight (stock) slides.

Oh and there's a lot more to performance than just group size. But I bet you knew that!

I've got a complete ZEV G17 Dragonfly. It is not and never will be an Infinity. Keep in mind the gun only weighs 22 ounces so they pulled around 3 ounces out of the slide. Combine that with the stipple job, mag well and ZEV Ultimate trigger and you get a fast, flat shooting pistol. I like it a lot. Will I ever compete with it, probably not. But for carry and the fun of shooting it does exactly what I wanted it to do.

Edited by rangertrace

What about the Zev 17L dragonfly, is it worth? I really want a G17L for 3gun only. But I keep hearing the G34 is better due to the weight of the slide vs the stock 17L slide. It's either gonna be a dragonfly 17L slide/barrel or a nib G17L both are rebound the same price. Any advice on this?

I have the 35 slide with a 9mm conversion barrel that I'm using for 3 gun with the heavy magwell and it is a nice shooting gun. The slide was a prize table win so I figured i would give it a go and see how it works and like it. Don't think I would pay the 550-600 the slide runs to buy one but I got it free so why not run it

The gun is too light to begin with. Recoil is worse when you lighten the slide.

No sir....If you lighten the reciprocating mass (the slide) you will lessen the recoil, period.

Worse does not necessarily mean more.

I would say the .40 has /worse/ recoil than the .45, despite that there is less of it.

Sharp stingy recoil sucks.

My ZEV slide is the fastest cycling sharpest recoiling flattest shooting G24 I have ever had. With our trigger system and a good heavy magwell that putts the weight in your palm (as it should be) then the recoil is quick and sharp. The sights snap right back on target.

By the time you pay to have someone mill a factory slide (which is harder on tooling) and have everything else done then a ZEV slide is really only about $100 more. They are nice.

We are working on modifying the LoneWolf SS slides right now as well to offer up multiple different things from us.

The gun is too light to begin with. Recoil is worse when you lighten the slide.

No sir....If you lighten the reciprocating mass (the slide) you will lessen the recoil, period.
Not if you need to achieve major power factor. You reduce lock time and burn time. Then you need to increase your load, increasing recoil. I do get your point though. My point is that there is a balance to maintain.

Lightening the slide does NOT require to increase your load. That is non sense, I use 4.5heavy with a 180gr BBI and make major 172ish PF with my G24. Slide weight is of no difference here. OAL Bullet weight and barrel speed are factors here.

My ZEV slide is the fastest cycling sharpest recoiling flattest shooting G24 I have ever had. With our trigger system and a good heavy magwell that putts the weight in your palm (as it should be) then the recoil is quick and sharp. The sights snap right back on target.

By the time you pay to have someone mill a factory slide (which is harder on tooling) and have everything else done then a ZEV slide is really only about $100 more. They are nice.

We are working on modifying the LoneWolf SS slides right now as well to offer up multiple different things from us.

That is a great way to describe the recoil impulse of my ZEV G17.

Red Ryder,

Lock up times are way above my head. :goof:

Again so much is shooter preference. One of the best (ok the best) Glock Jockey is Bob Vogel he had a light slide gun and went back to stock. I did too, however I must say I shoot my LW Zev cut G34 very well at steel matches. It comes down to what kind of recoil impulse you like. Snappy and fast or soft and measured.

Lightening the slide does NOT require to increase your load. That is non sense, I use 4.5heavy with a 180gr BBI and make major 172ish PF with my G24. Slide weight is of no difference here. OAL Bullet weight and barrel speed are factors here.

Maybe not in this case, but lock time affects burn time, which affects pressure, which affects bullet speed. Period. But we are in a beginners forum.