Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL1050 Not cycling smoothly

I just did a caliber conversion from 9 to 40.

The case plunger was have difficulty slipping the case into the shell plate. I took the plunger apart, loosened the shell plate added a little red grease to the ball bearing.

But as I cycle the arm, it hangs up about 3/4-7/8 of the way back up. I have to bang the handle fairly hard to get the plate to cycle to the next position. This happens most of the time.

Any ideas on what is causing the cycle to stop and require a bang on the handle for it to complete a cycle?

Than

I don’t know what exactly wrong with your particular machine, but I would start by:

Check to see if there is any trash under the shell plate, retighten to full tight, and back off 1/8th of a turn.

Remove the top of the case feed plunger, while holding downward tension on the plunger, feed a case one at a time and observe what is going on. Any binding?

Remove the case feed plunger. Did that fix it?

Remove the primer slide. Did that fix it? (my money is here; linkage or plunger: that is my WAG) I had a similar thing happen, I forgot to put in the hitch pin into the primer linkage, and the linkage started coming out. It bound up the primer slide.

tear the machine completely apart, clean and re-grease, re-assemble. Usually solves all my issues.

Something happening at the top of the stroke though would be either case feed, powder drop, or possibly primer feed shuttle related. Thats also about when the shell plate indexes to the next position so I would pull the shell plate and check for junk under it.

But like I said, if it was me and I couldnt pin-point a specific problem, I would simply tear the whole machine down, clean everything well, and completely re-assemble with all new grease.

Banging on the handle might not be a good idea. Never force anything while reloading.

Slow your reloading stroke down and see if you can find what's binding. I'm betting there's some junk under the shell plate or media in the shell plate where the cartridge rims go.

Thanks for all the input.

The machine was cleaned when I did the conversion. I followed the recommended steps.

The angled plastic tab at the priming station was adjusted.

If there is no shell in the plunger the reloader cycles perfectly.

I can manually load (thanks for the advice) a shell into the shell plate and it cycles smoothly.

So that means the problem resides with the plunger-shell plate relationship. I have loosen the shell plate and tightened it down.

That does to seem to solve the problem. I am at a loss on how to adjust the plunger.

Any more ideas? I am using the correct - green plastic for feeding.

Edited by pjb45

This is why when you have a problem, you should remove all cases and be sure the press can function. If not, and you aren't trying to feed a case, the problem is most likely in the priming system. If things work, then try feeding a case and see if that causes the problem. If so, as you found out, verify the right parts and check that the shell plate is the correct one and is not warped and that you can EASILY place a case in each station. If the problem is beyond that, keep cycling the case around until you find the problem.

Never assume and never force.

The biggest problem area for all progressive presses in the primer system. The next biggest problem area, for me and Dillon presses, is if I use the case collator and case feeding. There are critical dimensional and timing issue in the system that must be just right. Next area for most presses is the shell plate not being tight enough or working itself loose.

• 2 weeks later...

This type of issue makes me wish Dillon would "color code" it's caliber specific parts...... but of course, the smart guys wouldn't need that. Right? However, it sure would make life easier.