Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trojan 9mm

b1gcountry

I want to get my first 1911, I posted about it before, and got advice for either a Range Officer or a STI Trojan.

I am leaning towards an STI in 40. A local guy is selling his for $950, but it is chambered in 9mm. What is a good used price for these?

How much would it cost to get this converted over to .40? Assuming it can be done...

My thoughts were that I could shoot it for fun, and use it in USPSA SS or L10 if I had the desire to...

Any thoughts appreciated...

Personally I would hold out for a Trojan in .40 if you intend on shooting SS and L-10. Prices vary, depending on what kind of shape the gun is in and what mods have been done to it. Used guns get posted all the time on this forum, so good chance you'll find what you're looking for.

Now had you just wanted it for fun and shooting IDPA or Steel Challenge, the Trojan in 9mm would be a really fun gun. I know, get both!

Yeah, i was worried it would be super expensive to convert...

I might get both, but I have a rule about one new gun at a time :)

I really don't really have a specific use for the gun. I just want to have options down the line. I don't plan to stop shooting production, but the thought of something fun now that i might actually use later on in USPSA sounds like a good idea

I want to get my first 1911, I posted about it before, and got advice for either a Range Officer or a STI Trojan.

I am leaning towards an STI in 40. A local guy is selling his for $950, but it is chambered in 9mm. What is a good used price for these?

I think they sell new for around $1300 now (check Dawson Precision) so fair price depends on condition. I think $950 is reasonable.

How much would it cost to get this converted over to .40? Assuming it can be done...

You would have to have a slide and top end fitted, would cost about the same as a used gun (or more)

It's just a new barrel and machining out a tiny bit of the breachface if you don't want to shoot 9mm out of it again.

Where I'm from it is quite common to convert from 9mm or 38 super to 357 sig due to our gun restrictions so we can shoot major in IPSC. Reaming out the barrel to take the 40 sized case and modifying the breachface runs us around $350.

Edited by dansedgli

Sorry, 1911 no bueno for Production.

The 1911 would not be for production, but it would work if I decided to shoot SS our L10 in the future.

Other than for fun, what can the 9mm be used for? I guess L10 minor, I just don't think anyone actually shots that...

I know of a few people shooting their 9mm 1911 in L-10 minor or SS minor loaded to 10,. Or if you're into IDPA it'd make a really sweet gun for ESP division.

The 2011 that I have in 9mm is my gun for 3-gun and Steel Challenge. Used to shoot IDPA with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a Trojan in 9mm. Use it for Steel and IDPA. Great gun for those sports. If you were only going to get one gun though, I'd probably go with the 40. Can be used for all three. If you don't reload the 9 would be cheaper to shoot. If you're accurate with it the 9 shouldn't hurt you too bad in USPSA and you get the added benefit of shooting a gun with less recoil.