Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chamber throat reaming

SWprotected

Finally got my throat reamer that was on backorder from Brownells. I took about 3 full turns to get .100" more OAL on a new 1911/2011 barrel for a build I'm doing. Easy to do and will be doing my CZ so I only have 1 load for all my 9mm's.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/771494/ptg-interchangeable-pilot-chamber-finish-reamer-40-s-and-w-cast-bullet-optimized

I have used this reamer on four different 40 barrels and it works like a dream. I cast and size 200gr 40 cal bullets to .401 and a lot of STI chambers are way too tight for this setup. This reamer fixed all the problems I have had.

A standard throating reamer will not necessarily help if the diameter of the projectile is an issue. The SAAMI spec for a 40 throat is .4014" max, so a .401" is a tight fit with some fouling and a .4015" is basically a no go. SAAMI specs attached. The vast majority of chambers and chamber checkers are made to these specs, thus the problems with lead projectiles.

40 SandW.pdf

Just throating doen't change the chamber. It only cuts the rifling ahead of the chamber on a taper. A lot of chambers have too little cut in this area. This is a gentle hand powered operation. No mill or lathe needed. You probably could cut too much if you get carried away, but it's easy to get it right.

I thought barrels would be too hard for a hand twisted operation. Guess not... or it's that these throating tools are even harder than the barrel...

So you grind a bit... then test fit a long bullet... then when the desired bullet fits, you grind a bit more... and probably test the fit with a new longer bullet designed to give the exact chamber length desired... or just test fit with a cartridge at the exact OAL desired for the maximum chamber length...

Any recommendations for a throating tool for an STI Edge in .40 S&W?

Thanks...

I prefer Manson or Pacific Tool & Gage reamers over Clymer. Just get a S&W 40 throating reamer. Should be the same one for 10mm. Barrels are actually pretty soft as steel goes. They cut easily unless chrome plated. Chrome plating will ruin a reamer in a hurry.

"Take a couple of turns with light pressure, clean and check. You may have to do this a couple of times...."

Heed this advice.^^^^^^^

Reamers cut faster than you may think using just light hand pressure. I like to use transmission fluid (ATF) for a cutting oil, but there are other choices that work well. In any case be sure to use a cuttling fluid or oil.

Do not turn the reamer backwards in the chamber, you can put a chip in the reamer or scratch the chamber.

Not long ago there was a poster who asked a similar question and got a finishing reamer instead of a throating reamer and reamed out their chamber so much it swallowed the cartridge. Don't do that. If all you want to do is provide clearance for a long loaded bullet or a particular bullet profile so it doesn't hit the lands use a thoating reamer.

It really isn't a hard task, but go slow and check often.

Can't put the material back once you shave it off!