Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M2 jamming issue

Onagoth

So...I just started noticing a problem at my last shotgun match, which was confirmed yesterday at the range.

My m2 cycles double A's just fine, but low recoil S&B slugs are now jamming. I've shot hundreds of these slugs through this gun without a problem before and the gun ran perfectly at Rocky Mountain.

I don't have pictures, but what is happening is that the shells are coming out of the tube and lifting up just fine, but jamming against the barrel. I have lightly sanded this area a couple months ago because this was happening with winchester shells as well but again, lots of rounds have been through the gun since then.

I've heard it can be two things....crappy shells with a poor crimp or that the lifter is canting the shells towards the ejection port and that is causing the jam.

I can try twisting the lifter, but I'm not sure that this is the problem since the shells also jam against the left side of the barrel. With regards to shell crimp, the S&B slugs actually have a nice crimp on them....so I'm a little lost. Perhaps I just need a new lifter?

For clarity, the part of the barrel were the shells are jamming against is the part where the extractor passes over.

Any thoughts?

I put a 1/4" radius cut in the front of the lifter, like the lifter is originally, but, not deep enough to catch my thumb. I feel it helps guide the shell into the chamber better. There's a picture of my Versa Max lifter floating around here someplace.

I would suggest before you go hog wild on messing with or buying anything ...

- try another lot of those slugs. Or buy a hotter slug. Fed truball 1350 ? This will probably fix without any mods.

-sounds like you have already polished the extractor groove to an angled edge and dull (usually a temporary fix).

- send back your shell carrier-lifter to the maker? ...to get back in spec.

Of course if that doesn't work you can tweak your carrier-lifter ( nothing to loose) or purchase a carrier lifter. I suggest Taran's carrier-lifter and a lighter recoil spring if you are shooting those lighter loads.

How fresh is your mag tube spring? Most of the slugs I have run into are a little longer than 2 3/4 birdshot. If the slugs aren't being set back as far on the carrier now as they were (weaker mag tube spring) and they are longer than your Win AA's that could be enough for them to jam while chambering. Just a thought.

How fresh is your mag tube spring? Most of the slugs I have run into are a little longer than 2 3/4 birdshot. If the slugs aren't being set back as far on the carrier now as they were (weaker mag tube spring) and they are longer than your Win AA's that could be enough for them to jam while chambering. Just a thought.

id start here... i have seen a new mag spring fix this exact problem

It's not the mag tube spring (unless they are only good for a couple months). At this point, I am suspecting the problem is related to shell length.

Slugs I have run through my gun prior to this NEVER had a problem before. This past match I used shells from a new box from a new case. I've measured them and they are not the same.

Edited by Onagoth

So its not a problem with the length...took it out today and it jammed with my old stock of slugs.

Can't explain it...worked fine for 5 days at Rocky Mountain but all the sudden slugs are getting jammed against the edges of the barrel.

005_zpsf1ef6a13.jpg

It's not the mag tube spring (unless they are only good for a couple months). At this point, I am suspecting the problem is related to shell length.

Slugs I have run through my gun prior to this NEVER had a problem before. This past match I used shells from a new box from a new case. I've measured them and they are not the same.

if i were you i would ask kurt miller, you can pm him on here, what length tube are your running and which mag spring?

I put a 1/4" radius cut in the front of the lifter, like the lifter is originally, but, not deep enough to catch my thumb. I feel it helps guide the shell into the chamber better. There's a picture of my Versa Max lifter floating around here someplace.

This

Did you remove the sharp edge at the extractor cut? My M2 would hang up there occasionally prior to removal of that razor sharp edge. Kurt M brought this to my attention.

I did radius the extractor cut. Kurt indicated the problem is with the lifter spring and I have some more on the way. I also ordered a TTI lifter which is supposed to keep the shells straight when chambering. Between those two things, hopefully it clears it up....worst case scanario, I have extra parts :)

Have you ever cleaned the main spring and tube that runs into the butt stock? Over time they can get gunked up which impedes the function of the spring and causes reliability issues. Might replace the spring if you have a lot of mileage on the gun.

Have you ever cleaned the main spring and tube that runs into the butt stock? Over time they can get gunked up which impedes the function of the spring and causes reliability issues. Might replace the spring if you have a lot of mileage on the gun.

The recoil spring is clean, lightly lubed and in good condition.

Have you tried a chicken blood sacrifice? Benelli respond well to that...and a little vino too. Change the spring first. If it was working before, the lifter isn't your problem at all, so you will be able to return or sell the TTI part, unless you like it and want to keep it.

Have you tried a chicken blood sacrifice? Benelli respond well to that...and a little vino too. Change the spring first. If it was working before, the lifter isn't your problem at all, so you will be able to return or sell the TTI part, unless you like it and want to keep it.

lol...still haven't tried the chicken blood sacrifice. I will keep it on my list of backup solutions though.

The Virgins.......don't forget the Virgins!!!!

Virgin chickens??

The BLOOD of virgin chickens......

It must just have been coincidence then that the groove fixed my problem. The spring didn't change anything, chicken blood I didn't try....I did spill a little Kentucky bourbon barrel ale on it one night......perhaps that was it...........

I think the difference Mark, is that yours did that all the time until fixed by your crafty innovations where as his has been working perfectly and then suddenly it wasn't.....that is why the chicken blood sacrifice is apropos at this time. :)

I think the difference Mark, is that yours did that all the time until fixed by your crafty innovations where as his has been working perfectly and then suddenly it wasn't.....that is why the chicken blood sacrifice is apropos at this time. :)

Gotcha.......didnt catch that his was working. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

So far, the new lifter spring seems to have completely solved the problem. Gotta run another box or 2 of slugs through it to be sure, but there wasn't a single jam at a local championship 3 gun match yesterday.

Thanks Kurt!