Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are the Shadow SA/DA and/or SP-01 Shadow the best sub-$1k?

EatsEverything

(Originally posted to BEginners, and suggested to move here. Admins, could you merge teh threads?)

Hi!

I'm a new shooter looking to get into competition shooting, likely starting with USPSA Production or IDPA SSP, and possibly going into 3-gun.

I understand the normal pathway is to take your time, shoot what you already have (S&W M&P9, on a waiting list for a HK VP9) and then upgrade when appropriate. However, (1) I live in California, (2) the Single Shot Exemption that allows us to import guns not on our "safe" handgun roster expires at the end of the year, (3) I really want a CZ, and (4) I have a budget of about $1000 (including transfer and SSE fees).

From what I've read elsewhere, the ideal CZs in the sub-$1k field are the CZ 75 Shadow SA/DA for IDPA SSP and the CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow for USPSA Production.

In your opinion, would you agree or are there other CZ's that I should be considering?

I ruled out the Tactical Sports because I don't think they are Production-legal and not IDPA-legal at all.

I also ruled out the SA models because people keep saying to leave them DA/SA for IDPA, though I don't know why. Perhaps they're not allowed in that configuration.

I'm uncertain about whether or not to pursue a decocker model. Seems like the future of trigger work is harder on them than the non-decocker models, which may or may not be a factor for Production/SSP.

While it would be ideal to get a SP-01 Accu-Shadow or SP-01 Shadow Target, I don't think they're within my budget at this time.

--

Anything with four legs that's not a table.

Anything that flies that's not a plane.

Anything that feeds that's not steel core.

EatsEverything

If you like a light gun and don't care about a rail for a light, then get a 75 shadow in da/sa. If you like the rail and weight get the SP01 Shadow da/sa. Both in da/sa can be used in both sports. The SP01 is idpa legal in both ssp and esp. In esp you start with the hammer back.I would not get a decocker model. The shadow models should be around the $800 mark before sse and transfer fees.

Edited by pbosik

I haven't seen an SP01 Shadow for under $1000. If you search Gunbroker regularly, you can sometimes find them from $1250 and higher depending on the model (Custom, Target, etc).

You can find the SP01 for around $650, and the Shadow for around $800-$900, but not the SP01 Shadow for under $1000.

Edited by JGus

Another option is CZ P-09, it cost about $450-500. Drop in $250 dollars in parts it will give you a very good USPSA, IDPA, and 3GUN pistol. I have both CZ SP-01 Shadow Custom from CZC ( CZ Custom Shop) $1600, and CZ P-09 $750total that i have modified with parts from CGW ( Cajun Gun Works) and both guns are top performers. One problem is i will never shot these guns to their full potential in competition.

bgc

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm in CA too and between SSE, transfer and DROS there are no Shadows in your price range; you'll be lucky to get an SP01 set up for competition with a belt, holster, mag pouches, five mags for a grand.

This: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=437268757

Plus this: http://cajungunworks.com/short_reset_system_-_srs.html

Plus this: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191773

In that price range, in california, in my opinion, your best bet is to get a regular 75b or sp01 and then mod them. As others have mentioned it will be almost impossible to get a sp01 shadow or 75 shadow for under $1,000. And that's for a stock one. With the regular ones they are already on roster, less money and the guns with firing pin blocks can still be made with good triggers, it just takes a different approach.

Again, as others have mentioned try going the PPT route and finding a gun that way already in the state. I've seen two 75 shadows for sale by private sellers in san diego recently for about 900 bucks.

I do agree with you though that if you've only got about a grand that the CZ is the best place to start. Good luck in your search.

I am sure you know what you are talking about as far as Ca sse and stuff. The Shadows are avail in the price I mentioned, they are not the shadow custom. Just a basic shadow #91705 & 91154. Availability will be spotty, the 91705 is available at oak hill guns $795 cash

I am sure you know what you are talking about as far as Ca sse and stuff. The Shadows are avail in the price I mentioned, they are not the shadow custom. Just a basic shadow #91705 & 91154. Availability will be spotty, the 91705 is available at oak hill guns $795 cash

Philip,

We in CA are not so fortunate as our brothers outside the iron curtain. 795 from Oak Hill +35 shipping, +67 CA sales tax, +105 (at least) SSE transfer fee, +25 DROS fee has you up to $1,027 before you've paid your FFL to block the three factory mags (~30), bought two more (100), plus a belt, holster, mag pouches and you're in for nearly $1,500 before you upgrade the pistol at all.

So... CGW Disconnector, along with a short reset trigger from CGW or the one from CZC?

I'm going to confess that I'm not particularly handy and I've only been shooting for three months.

Before I start tinkering, it might be best to just get familiar with it and work on fundamentals first.

Why does waiting suck so much? :)