Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Horus Vison 1-4x24 scope

Scooter

I saw an ad for it in this month's SWAT magazine.

It looks like it might be pretty close to the "ultimate" general purpose optic for an AR.

I love my Leupold, but all of the talk about the Horus Vision reticle from people who are obviously doing good work with it is ... compelling.

I am definitely a fan of the HV reticle, but 1K seems a bit steep given the competition. It isn't clear whether or not an illuminated reticle is standard or an extra cost.

For 1K you can get into a true 1x4 US Optics SN4 with an illuminated reticle. Although the talon scopes seem to be good quality the originals I have seen were simply not in the same class.

I am in the market for a new AR scope so I will definitely take a look at them at the SHOT show and give a report.

Craig

Ordered one Thursday should be here middle of next week. I'll mount it up and give a report after shooting some drills. Looks like a viable scope for 3 gun.

When you get it, could you please tell us if the illumination is strong enough for bright daylight? And if so, what part of the reticle is illuminated.

For 1K you can get into a true 1x4 US Optics SN4 with an illuminated reticle.

I think that's actually closer to $1350 for an illuminated version. Unless of course you got someone to hook you up.

RS,

Actually there is a group buy over at Snipershide that gets you one for close to 1K. I apologize for my new love of USO but I just can't quit looking through my new SN-3. And yes, I have recently met a USO dealer, and if he ever becomes single I will propose in a second. I am sure the deals are great for a spouse :P

Take care, Craig

Horus Vision Talon arrived today (Mon.). Compact only 9 1/2 inches long but 30 mm dia. tube so will have to wait for new rings to mount it up. Looks to be a "true" 1 to 4 power very easy to keep both eyes open on low power. Eye relief is great at 3 to 3 1/2 inches. There is a center dot that is close to 4 min. and then a large "ghost ring" that is 26 mils. across. The retical is in the first plane so as you increase power the retical gets bigger. The grid isn't really visable until 2 power and better at 3 power very good at 4 power. It is illuminated with a 12 position switch on the left side. The cross hairs from top to bottom and side to side also the ghost ring and center dot are illuminated. On the highest setting they are very bright, but its not a dot sight. At first blush I'd like to see the center dot smaller maybe 2 min. but it may not be a problem. Looks to be very fast on close stuff. Rings should be here in a couple of days, more later. Keith

Larry, scope weight is just under a pound ( 452.5 grams ).

Lawman, short answer is no not bright enough for daylight use.

Kellyn, its not busy on low power and on high power it doesn't seem to be distracting but again I haven't shot it yet just looked at targets at different ranges. The software that came with it is kinda trick have played with it some. Keith

Put some rounds down range yesterday, with the Talon. I'm not happy with the mount setup as is, not enough eye relief and will change it ASAP. After zeroing shot 100 to 600 yds with 1st. shot hits common. As suspected the center dot needs to be smaller IMHO. Shot half IPSC targets ( upper half ) out to 325 with little effort. Ballistic program supplied with the scope seems to be right on.

With closer targets its point and shoot on low power with a clear sight picture even at contact distance. You can read a newspaper through the scope with the barrel of gun pressed against the paper at 1 power. Hardest targets are in the 175 to 250 range because of the center dot. With a little practice I expect my comfort level to increase at these mid ranges. Its not perfect but what is in this game. I think I'll run it this year and see what happens. Its a lot faster on the close stuff than my ACOG and with practice will be as fast on the longer shots. As always this is one persons opinion and should be researched further. LOL Keith

• 4 weeks later...

I just receieved a Talon for test and eval and mounted on M4 and these are the things I have documented thus far.

Dot is too big on 4 power

Reticle is too busy!

Illuminated reticle is NOT visible in high light conditions. Unsat!

More to follow.

As Glockster96 says I used the Talon in its first true 3 gun match. I like this scope for close paper ( we were shooting upper 1/2 IPSC targets from 7 yds. to 50 yds. and full size out to 85 yds. ) Mostly A hits a few C's in a good time. Worked well on the longer range steel stage, only out to 165, but the distance I was concerned about. Think it will improve my scores on the type of stages I was having trouble with and won't hurt those that are in my comfort zone.