Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine selection for stage execution

Nimitz

Does anyone start a stage with a 170mm mag if the round count will mandate a reload? I have yet to actually run a stage in open but I'm thinking that a big stick is for any stage where it is reasonable to assume a reload will not be required and for long field courses where you can't escape a reload you start with 140 & then reload another 140.

I know it's possible to contrive a stage plan where going 28 rds without a reload is obviously faster but in general I would think you save your big stick for stages where it doesn't have to come out of the gun.

Am I on track here?

If I have to fire 16 - 28 rounds, I start with the 170 mm.

Fewer than 16, I start with a 140 mm. (9mm major).

If I need 32 rounds, I'll start with the 170 and reload the 140.

I'm more consistent (faster) reloading a 140 than a 170.

I don't worry about the 170 coming out of the gun - I just drop it and reload the 140.

BUT, I'm only a B Open - you might want to wait for the M & GM's to chime in. :cheers:

For some reason I almost always start with a 170 - even if I only need 10 or 12 rounds. I have dropped them many, many times, and am yet to see them fail because of that. I try not to shoot in deep mud.

I think the stage design should drive your consideration - usually, at least for me, 170 then 140 makes sense, but there are stages where you take a few shots, then have to run, so in this case 140 to 170 would be more appropriate.

I don't worry about the 170 coming out of the gun - I just drop it and reload the 140.

BUT, I'm only a B Open - you might want to wait for the M & GM's to chime in. :cheers:

That's how I do it. I try not to reload a 170 but sometimes the stage design dictates you should.

Dropping mags is part of the game.

Hello: Depending on the stage setup. I have used 140 to 140. I have also done 140 to 170 and 170 to 140. I have seen some who use only 170's and some 140's only. If it is a fast short distance no steel with less than 24 rounds I use the 140's. My 140's hold 25 rounds reloadable. I may try all 170's this weekend just for fun. Thanks, Eric

Start with a 170, finish with a 170, a spare 170 just in case.... I like consistency. I practice my reloads with a 170, so every time its the same. And 170's give you options, if you have to do a reload on the course. Maybe you wanna drop it during movement between arrays early, maybe late in the course. Just keep it simple, and the same, 170 to 170 from 170. If I were going to use 140+ size instead of 170, I would do it exactly the same. Just use only 140's, stick with 140's.

Right now I have 3 140s and 1 170. The gun is mainly for Steel Challenge but I plan to fool around from time to time shooting open minor and was curious what most people do. Now I just have to figure out the whole extended base pad thing ...

↑this