Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011 grip choices

gmg

I recently received my first custom built limited gun. It is really sweet but the grip has been stippled and it is more aggressive than I am used to which is grip tape.I would like to either sand it down some or have it redone with a less aggressive stippling. Does anyone know who resurfaces grips and could do a sand paper type finish? Any advice would be appreciated. Thaks in advance.

If you really like the grip tape feel, look into a smooth aluminum or steel grip from Phoenix Trinity.

They are made with the intent of adding tape to them.

http://www.ptrinity.com/firearms/

Aluminum very closely resembles the weight/balance of the gun with a plastic grip, while the steel version adds several ounces in your hand, and really soaks up recoil.

• 2 weeks later...

Give Cameron's Custom a buzz, they offer a plastic STI grip with a Scott's tape finish. Not sure if its only for there new builds or if they can sell you one with the tape on it. I liked the feel of their tape equipped grips. Rather than dealing with the hassle of sanding down the current grip I'd suggest selling the old one in the Classifieds and acquire a new grip. A used textured STI grip sells very quickly.

STI sells an aluminum grip, which will have a minimal weight difference from the plastic grip. Phoenix Trinity also has nice high quality grips but they can be very labor intensive to install as I've found out first hand. The STI version may just drop in. After using textured plastic grips on my STI's the past few years I much prefer the feel of the grip tape equipped PT grip I have on my Limited gun vs. any textured plastic grips. I don't care for the feel of textured metal grips, for me the tape equipped metal grips are the shiz.

Edited by blaster113

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You would be better off buying another grip and having it done by someone that knows how to texture a grip. When I started doing grips many years ago, there was only a couple of folks that really knew what they were doing. Jim has produced a good job for many people over the years. Everyone can't do grips , even though they think they can. It is a dangerous thing to try and fix someone's mistakes.

Tommy Roupe

+1 for Jim.

He worked his magic on the grip of my current 2011 build. Give him a call and he'll ask you a few question so that he can provide you the best grip for your application. You won't be disappointed.