Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you deal with unstable supports?

Vlad

I assume we've all seen this, a position at the end of the stage, where you have to engage some 200-300 yard target off some really shaky support, some half rotted wall, a creaky saw horse or similarly unstable support. You are sucking wind, you have no other available supports and prone doesn't let you see the targets.

How do you stabilize to keep the muzzle from dancing all around the target. Obviously, cardio and being in better shape helps, but beyond that how do you deal unstable rifle supports?

Edited by Vlad

Sometimes you don't get a good sight picture and have to settle for "acceptable". When faced with an unstable support I first try and get into a reverse kneeling position if I'm not winded already. Get the best sight picture that I can which usually means the reticle is floating around the target and try and break the shot just as the reticle start to cross the target. I practice this by using a barricade and shoot an array of 200 yard steels from left to right and then right to left as fast as I can using different positions on the barricade. This drill has helped a lot when it comes to unstable supports and getting the feel for breaking the shot as the reticle touches the target.

Get the best position you can. Often the support is always the wrong height for you. If it wobbles, I pull the rifle tighter into my shoulder, if it's fairly solid, push into the support. If you're winded, take deep breaths while getting into position.

Rocky Mountain 3 Gun is known for odd supports. At the match 2 weeks ago, the supports included a small step stool / ladder, lengths of logs somewhat anchored to fence post and rebar, a set of stairs, a wobbly log using positions at each end and a cable spool. Toss in the altitude 6500+, and pretty much everything is a shaky rest. :roflol:

Just yesterday I had a similar situation. Tall guy, short bench and uphill shots. I took my typical "back leg" and brought it forward so I could tuck my rifle in tight and rest my right elbow on my knee so at least the rear support was solid. Worked very well.

Take the time to find a position that works while you're taking your sight picture before you "make ready".

There is no one size fits all when it comes to acheiving a more solid position from barricades. Typically I find that more points of contact are better than less. Another big factor is flexibility. I'm slim and can get myself lower to the ground or tuck a knee in tighter. Depending on the barricade I will put the magwell up against the barricade and have my support hand in front clamping down (such as on a 3GN plywood barricade).

Best bet is to try different things and see what results in the least reticle movement. Also remember that the most stable position may not be the best; the best could be a compromise of stability plus speed -standing vs kneeling vs prone against said barricade. It depends on shot difficulty plus amount of time to get into and out of that position.

• 2 weeks later...

Either push hard into it, or pull hard on it, or find a way to settle the gun gently. Force or finesse against barricades.

The key is to know what you're going to do before you get there. Check barricades / walls / positions before you're shooting live to make sure it's going to work. Most of the time its not going to be perfect, but as long as its "good enough" and you know what to expect when you get there you will be confident and focused on the shooting instead of thinking about how unstable you are.

This year at the Colt 3 Man 3 Gun, Dean had a chain set out as a wobbly support and it was... wobbly

Check barricades / walls / positions before you're shooting live to make sure it's going to work.

This. And check twice. :) I have (alas, on more than one occasion) air-gunned a barricade position during walkthrough that seemed fine, only to find out that with a real rifle and real rounds it wasn't quite as stable as I thought. So, there is some experience to be gathered in checking those barricades for suitability...

Absolutely.

Best case scenario, they'll let you take a sight picture with a FLAGGED rifle as long as you're not bothering anyone during the 5 minute group walkthrough and see what it really looks / feels like.

But please ASK FIRST